Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in quilting group

I have a new garden friend who lives on the edge, financially. She is a hard worker and is very interested in learning about a variety of plants at an expert level since she already knows quite a lot. But already she is drawing lines between The Snooty Women and herself. There is a lot of crossover between garden clubs and plant societies so we know several of the same people.

Me, I have a hard time identifying who The Snooty Women are. I honestly dont see it and never have in these garden organizations. As I envision each person in my floral designers group, I see people who are passionate about design,helpful to others, and concerned about “getting it right.” But I imagine my new friend would single out a couple of them as being Snooty because they have McMansions out in far suburbia, and they spend money on flower show junk.

I have been honest with my friend and told her that while this group values creativity above all else, yeah, we do spend money on crap. Lots of crap, lots of money. My friend is welcome to use the crap from my basement in flower design, but she would not be happy overall in this group.I am actually thrilled when others use flowers I have grown in their designs, so I would love for her to start using my containers as well as flowers from my garden.

Groups are tough. Your local library may have a group, too. Good luck. I'm sorry they were so rude.

Well that is really awful but better to find out they are bitches now then to find out later when you were more invested. I hope you can connect with the other 2 ladies. IL: that is nice that you let your friend use your stuff. I don't like to spend a bunch of $ on hobbies because I prefer to spend it on entertainment and travel)

Just a thought that occurred afterwards - is it possible that it is just one or two of the gated folks and not the rest who may be horrified at what happened? That group may find itself struggling with retaining those who really are not feeling so exclusionary.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Just a thought that occurred afterwards - is it possible that it is just one or two of the gated folks and not the rest who may be horrified at what happened? That group may find itself struggling with retaining those who really are not feeling so exclusionary.
    That is a good observation, and chamces are there are some people in the gated community group who dont care who comes to the groups meetings as long as they are interested in quilting.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    I have been in many quilt guilds as I have moved around the country and yes, there can be mean girls. But seriously, you are cutting up pieces of fabric and sewing them together again. No need to be unkind. But there are tons of nice people out there.
    I buy most of my fabric Online. If you need good hints for good prices just ask.

I would encoirage you to to find a good group. If you have to drive a half hour or hour maybe you could carpool with the other two women.

Another option is is an online group. Facebook has a ton of them and everyone posts pictures of their stuff, encourages and shares tips. Quiltville open studio is a group on Facebook and Bonnie Hunter is getting ready to start a new mystery quilt. Tons of patterns, advice and fun. Last year, there was a quilt along and we did two blocks a week that eighty designers made up. I never would have completed this 5000 piece quilt without the encouragement of my online quilting sisters. My projects this year is farmers wife, and I also have a Dear Jane in progress.
    Edited to add, 35,000 people worldwide participated in this quilt along. Now it is a book, the splendid sampler.
    This quilt! I cant enlarge up the image, but it looks so interesting and intricate. Really, realy nice.

I am going to start a new thread for you all to show us your quiltwork.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-8-17 at 2:25pm.

Wow, I would be livid as well. Sorry that happened to you! I know the quilt shop is a ways away, but maybe they have regular customers from your town they know might be interested in a group? I agree, the library too, might have a good community board. What about Meetup?

I hope you and the other two people are able to start something together.

I'd love to do a gypsy wife quilt!!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    What about Meetup?
    yes it's one obvious answer, just be prepared to spend real money, because starting a meetup group isn't free (I heard at one time it was 3 meetups for $100 a year, but last I checked it was quite a bit more than that, enough that I backed off for the time being). Some people charge for attending a group or solicit donations but that's so tacky, so gauche. But otherwise there is a real altruistic element to running them, because even if one benefits, so do a lot of others who kind of just free ride on not just one's efforts but one's pocketbook really. Maybe someone else has already done so and you can go to their meetup group though.
    Trees don't grow on money

If there's a quilt guild in your area, you can check into satellite groups. There may already be one in your neighborhood, or you can start your own affiliation.

wow, I had no idea Meetup charged a monthly fee to the organizer. Hmm...I've talked to a few people in Meetup groups and that was never mentioned.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information