Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Doing nothing Vacation

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    HH I have thought of visiting Fallingwater but thought an hour hour tour might be too long. How interesting was the tour guide?
    Our tour guide was terrific...and seeing the inside and outside of the house was fascinating. We're huge FLW fans, though so YMMV.

There's another nearby Wright-designed home for touring, too--not as dramatic as Falling Water but the owner has a pretty incredible sculpture garden on his acreage that was pretty impressive...

The country around that area is lovely...and Ohiopyle State Park is beautiful...
    peaceful, easy feeling

Yppej
    I would be interested in the architecture, my millenial son maybe not so much. It is sort of on the way to relatives'. But I am not a FLW fan though. He was an egotistical jerk.

My coworker did a "do-nothing" staycation. And he LOOOOOOOVED it!

He played video games, watched movies, went to the bar with his buddies, lived on snack foods, and ate some giant burrito that a nearby restaurant serves as a gimmick. haha

I love FLW homes and buildings.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    He was an innovator for sure! But I've read most of his roofs leak. And in his personal life, he surely was a cad! But so many artists are/were...but still, his designs just capture my imagination both inside and outside...and his styles remain cutting-edge after these many years...what I like best is how his designs nestle into their settings and are made of local materials. No boxes plopped down on the lot...
    peaceful, easy feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Too me! We've toured Taliesan West in Scottsdale. I've toured 1 his designs in Chicago. There is 1 in Idaho but I've never found a method to go tour it. Me thinks the homeowners want to keep it a secret. It's at a beautiful location above the Snake River. I've had a peak from the road and it appears 1 wall is all glass overlooking the river. other than that, not a peak nor have I found that one in print w/description and/or photos......

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    He was an innovator for sure! But I've read most of his roofs leak. And in his personal life, he surely was a cad! But so many artists are/were...but still, his designs just capture my imagination both inside and outside...and his styles remain cutting-edge after these many years...what I like best is how his designs nestle into their settings and are made of local materials. No boxes plopped down on the lot...
    I was just talking about the Dana Thomas house today with someone. It is in Springfield, IL and is an early FL Wright work. It is freakin’ massive. It sits in a neighborhood of Traditional homes, and
    I am sure those homeowners all thought it was a creatire from another planet when it was builr.

He built plenty of homes in Wisconsin and Illinois. If I remember correctly he designed Johnson Wax in Racine Wisconsin and I have been there.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    So excited to try Ethiopian! Thanks for the tips. Love spicy foods too.
    No Passport Required (PBS) last night featured Ethiopian food and culture. Well worth watching; had me salivating.

Marcus Samuelsson is the chef and he has a great book about his history. Born Ethiopian, raised in Sweden, moved to the US. One of my favorite TV chefs.

Thread Information