Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing nothing Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The brown sign trips, what a wonderful idea!
    It's been great fun. None of those places would have been a destination without the intent. Now the rest is far enough away in our state, we'll need to overnight. And we WILL be doing some of those with 3d weekends in the future. Idaho is HUGE. We've got brown sign trips that will start 8-12 hours away from home. Car is mandatory. Hope to live long enough to see it all! Our bucket list is to see a part of every state (we like to locate and take it all in rather than drive by everything and enjoy nothing). Our bucket list includes seeing ALL of our home-state!

Love everyones ideas and trips!

I just did this two weekends ago a condo on a lake... a gift from a friend who couldn't use it and didn't want it to go to waste. I spent my time walking the lake trails, reading, crocheting, watching tv and basically enjoying the simplicity of my surroundings. Came home with a renewed determination to make my home into the same type of retreat. (Still working on that part - LOL)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I just did this two weekends ago a condo on a lake... a gift from a friend who couldn't use it and didn't want it to go to waste. I spent my time walking the lake trails, reading, crocheting, watching tv and basically enjoying the simplicity of my surroundings. Came home with a renewed determination to make my home into the same type of retreat. (Still working on that part - LOL)

PURE BLISS

of course you visited the SPAM Museum! Thats what you do in Austin.I dont remember where we stayed that night but I remember a prefectly awful Chinese restaurant in the downtown area.
    Some of the worst Asian restaurants I've ever been in were in towns like Austin. It's places like those that made me learn how to do it myself. OTOH, there are some surprisingly good Mexican restaurants because there are so many migratory farm workers in the area.

What kind of SPAM did you buy? We bought several for gifts for friends? We dont many gifts but I thought these fancy SPAM varieties woukd be funny.
    Heh. We bought the Mezclita (think "Underwood-Deviled-Ham-but-SPAM") and the tocino SPAM (nice catch on the capitalization, BTW). "It's only available here and in the Phillippines!" Later we found out the tocino version is readily available at my favorite Asian supermarket here in town. We tried the Mezclita because new and different; the tocino has the sweet-salty flavor combination going for it. Haven't bought more of either since; it's not hard to find even the more unusual varieties around The Cities. I think DW bought some as gag gifts, too, though I don't recall anyone's reaction to it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We had an unexpected stay vacation as we planned to go to the beach, but it is very cold...so we stayed home and I have loved having NOTHING planned, no one to meet, no place we need to be. Wed. through Monday!!!! It's been wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    OTOH, there are some surprisingly good Mexican restaurants because there are so many migratory farm workers in the area.
    "Surprisingly good"? In Austin? Really? Texas used to be Mexico. There are lots of folks whose Mexican roots predate statehood by generations in Austin and SW Texas area. Tex-Mex is a real thing for a reason.

In fairness to you, though, my first puppet tour of ND, MN, SD, WI, Nebraska was a real eye opener for me, so I shouldn't talk. My naivete probably would have cracked you up.

On the general topic of do-nothing vacation, I'm trying that out next week for reals. Going to stay home and try on the whole retired life thing, to see how I like it before jumping in full time around the first of the year. Going to try the whole day-to-day nonworking living routine. I've even written up a week long sample schedule to make sure I don't just sit around the house and vegetate during retirement. I've worked basically since I was 13 so I expect it is going to be quite a shock.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Quote Originally Posted by The Storyteller View Post
    "Surprisingly good"? In Austin? Really? Texas used to be Mexico. There are lots of folks whose Mexican roots predate statehood by generations in Austin and SW Texas area. Tex-Mex is a real thing for a reason.

In fairness to you, though, my first puppet tour of ND, MN, SD, WI, Nebraska was a real eye opener for me, so I shouldn't talk. My naivete probably would have cracked you up.

On the general topic of do-nothing vacation, I'm trying that out next week for reals. Going to stay home and try on the whole retired life thing, to see how I like it before jumping in full time around the first of the year. Going to try the whole day-to-day nonworking living routine. I've even written up a week long sample schedule to make sure I don't just sit around the house and vegetate during retirement. I've worked basically since I was 13 so I expect it is going to be quite a shock.
    We are talking about White bread land Austin, Minnesota. It is the home of SPAM, try to keep up.

But as Steve says, there are many persons of hispanic descent around there. Probably many work at the Hormel plant, meat packing has many immigrant workers.

We are talking about White bread land Austin, Minnesota. It is the home of SPAM, try to keep up.
    Ooops! Guess I should read the whole thread before I open my mouth.

Sorry, Steve! Did two long tours there and STILL don't know nothin bout Minnesota! Like it's a whole 'nother country.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Quote Originally Posted by The Storyteller View Post
    Sorry, Steve! Did two long tours there and STILL don't know nothin bout Minnesota! Like it's a whole 'nother country.
    That's OK, ST! "Whole 'nother country" is pretty much the way I feel about Texas (except maybe for Austin). lol Been there twice for short vacations but what I see and read indicates most Texans definitely see life a different way than most Minnesotans do.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information