Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating out for Thanksgiving

We use to set up an art show in Cincinnati on Thanksgiving Day. Some years we paid $50-$75 plate at the hotel's restaurant with friends and sometimes it was burger/fries in the hotel bar.
    I enjoy the family aspect of it and miss the days growing up where we'd have Thanksgiving at noon at Grandma G's and Thanksgiving at 7 at Grandma J's. Tons of family. Mom was one of 10 and dad was one of 6. It was great fun with all the cousins.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

A friend of mine does not enjoy cooking. Their family tradition has been to go to Chuck-O-Rama. They thoroughly enjoy it. Her 3 grown kids still love it and along with their kids they all continue this tradition.

The food may not be gourmet but for them, it's the family tradition of bonding and making the most of the day of being thankful.

I've often wanted to try going out but we can't get family to entertain the thought. "we won't have Grandma's dressing" or Mom's pistachio salad. OK, whatever.

Hubby and I hosted T-day once. 24 people. We slaved in the kitchen. Folks came just before dinner time (invited to come relax hours before), ate, stayed maybe 30 minutes and left (yes dishes were done).

But it was not the long relaxing day of family fellowship I wanted so we've NEVER offered again! And we won't with his family.

We don't host my family because my younger sister is deathly allergic to cats. So when she hosts, I do a lot of the cooking to offset her hosting and we thoroughly all enjoy our time of fellowship and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I’m sorry, you guys go right ahead. I’m cooking for nine. I’m going to enjoy it. I’ll probably have left overs....so you are welcome to stop by. There’s no way I could eat out on Thanksgiving. No dang way!
    Did you ever? I would be expecting a yes there. I know our plans could always be thrown out of whack, by the LEO/medical parts of the family. (not always that day) There have been times, my schedule meant vending machines, or if lucky, a convenience store.

It makes sense for a crowd, also some grocery stores let you order a whole prepared meal (sure this is not super cheap, but then it's not necessarily that bad considering). I like the concept of thanksgiving, a day in fall (usually a very nice time of year here), with no expectations more than eating a meal with family etc. and the only time of year you'll ever get two paid holidays off work without using up vacation time. I like sedate. I don't like the food that much, it's way too much butter and dairy and so on for my taste, hard on my body. I'd love to sometimes just prepare a thanksgiving to my own taste, there could be turkey though it's not my favorite (personally I've always wanted to try a heritage one but I have no idea what those are like as I can't get anyone else's buy in and really I can not eat a whole turkey myself), potatoes would be in the Mediterranean style roasted with maybe garlic and olive oil etc., cooked green beans with a simple vinaigrette, maybe a green salad with seasonal fruit (apples or pears or pomegranates etc.). I don't even like a feast unless I'm able to fast first, but that's not always possible in busy life. And yes thanksgiving has never been a holiday for women, it's a holiday for men, 3 women at this point are offering to cook some thanksgiving food (one of them is me), the number of men who are: you guessed it, zero of course.
    Trees don't grow on money

For several decades, we attended the large family gatherings at MIL's house. Everyone brought a dish. It was an absolute expectation that we show up year after year. Most of those folks have passed now so eating out feels like a little liberation.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I'd love to sometimes just prepare a thanksgiving to my own taste, there could be turkey though it's not my favorite
    I'm not partial to turkey either. When its at my house I usually make cornish hens (I'd do quail if they weren't so darn expensive. I've considered raising them myself.)
    No greenbean casserole for me either. I prefer long green beans in a almond/honey/lemon and herbs.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

For decades I cooked and family came. Then I moved and the kids were grown so we ate out some years and then I started hosting for friends again. Got sick of that and started to cook just for family. This year I bought a pre-cooked complete meal that I will just need to heat. It costs 50 but if good will be worth it and I will have leftovers.

I dont think we have ever eaten out, but there have been years where we dont cook st all.

Today we bought a turkey because that is Dh's obsession. Must. Have. Turkey. In. Freezer.

If we never cook it, thats ok with him. He likes putting up food. Fine line between preserving and hoarding.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-11-17 at 9:41am.

We've eaten thanksgiving in restaurants a number of times. Although I do have fond childhood memories of thanksgivings that were usually either at our house with mom's favorite sister coming, or us going to my aunt's I don't especially feel compelled to relive the experience. This year SO has to work so we will probably eat dinner as a late lunch at his hotel.

Try to take the best of the season and do what makes sense. If you LOVE the traditional turkey dinner, find a restaurant that offers that. If not, go to your favorite restaurant, no matter what the cuisine. Make it a celebration on your terms. There's no rule that says you have to do the Norman Rockwell thing, especially when it doesn't make sense this year.

I've eaten out once or twice, but so long ago, I can't remember the details, but it was fine. Thanksgiving is simply a day to be grateful for our blessings, and doesn't matter what and how you eat in order to do that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information