Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What's with all these sexual allegations coming to light?

Cathy, there is a lot in the media right now that should help you to understand why people do not talk. Here is a link to an article by an actor who was molested as a child:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebri...cid=spartandhp

When Heather Unruh gave her press conference yesterday, the lawyer there.who was the lawyer for many abused in the Boston clerical abuse situation that was outlined in the movie Spotlight, said it very eloquently:

People talk about it when they are ready to talk about it, whether they are nine or ninety. He said that there are victims coming forward today who were abused in the 1930's.

I don't disbelieve them because they are just now talking about it--and what Bae said is absolutely correct, a victim has no responsibility to anyone to tell what happened to them, and no would should disbelieve them or shame them because they do not talk at time it happened.

My 90 year old mother told me about abuse that happened to her as a child--I had never, ever known of this, and she said she never told anyone because she felt sorry for the man's wife.

I write this as a survivor of childhood sexual assault, and there are many people I have never told--including my parents.

Would the world be a better place today if Ted Kennedy had been driven out of office by scandal in 1969 or Bill Clinton in 1998?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Would the world be a better place today if Ted Kennedy had been driven out of office by scandal in 1969 ...?
    Teach your daughters to swim and to not get into cars with politicians.

While Ted Kennedy did a lot of good things through the years it does not make up for the fact that he did not try to rescue her or summon help (if I am remembering correctly). Clinton was in consensual relationship. He wasn't groping women, etc.

I'm sure many, many women (myself included) have been grabbed, groped, propositioned, and worse without saying anything about it--it's such a common thing
    Yep. I hadn't thought about it until all these news stories but I was able to recall at least three incidents from my younger days of this sort of behavior. Things that could not really be discussed with anyone other than another girlfriend perhaps. I had never discussed it with DH but when I told him the details yesterday, I think he understood better what it is like to be preyed upon by people who should learn to control themselves.

When I was 15 the district manager that only flew in occasionally for the fast food chain I worked for p.t. started to grab me in the ass. I asked my
    Dad how to handle it and he said he would. I said no. So he gave me pointers and I used them and he stopped. When I was in 5th grade the junior high was right across the street. WE were walking home and an 8th grade boy grabbed me in the crotch and then ran off. I turned right around and went to the principal's office to report it. The boy got into a lot of trouble and that was the end of it. Like PT I had long forgotten about these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Clinton was in consensual relationship. He wasn't groping women, etc.
    Leaving aside the the various other women who have made claims to the contrary, I have to wonder how "consensual" a sexual relationship can be between an extremely powerful man and a very junior subordinate.

Leaving aside the the various other women who have made claims to the contrary, I have to wonder how "consensual" a sexual relationship can be between an extremely powerful man and a very junior subordinate.
    The sexual harassment training I received decades ago in Silicon Valley would lead me to conclude that such a relationship would be "not good".

My cousin used to work for Teddy Kennedy. I have always wondered about that relationship--she was a noted babe.

What Clinton did was absolutely wrong, but it falls into a grey area for me as to whether it was harassment. Being the devil's advocate, if a young aid of legal age aggressively solicits a person of power to have intimate contact, who is the victim. In Clinton's case I'm uncertain enough of the details to make a call.

I had harassment training in my corporate days. There was a zero tolerance guideline. By my experience, which was a threat of violence rather than sexual, zero tolerance was not followed. Unless things are fairly overt, often a warning can be the first step. That should not be the case, but it was the corporate world of politics.
    Last edited by Rogar; 11-15-17 at 5:28pm.

Thread Information