Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What's with all these sexual allegations coming to light?

The picture, while unforgivably juvenile, was posed, with no touching of a woman who was apparently wearing a flack jacket. With several people in the room. When a co-worker grabbed my ass, I chased him down and grabbed his.

Astoundingly, Trump has condemned Franken. Maybe he is delusional. Still no word on Moore from the man who enjoyed walking in on undressed teenage pageant contestants, and admitted forcing himself on women.

I never found Franken particularly funny as a comedian; I like his performance as a senator much better.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The picture, while unforgivably juvenile, was posed, with no touching of a woman who was apparently wearing a flack jacket. With several people in the room. When a co-worker grabbed my ass, I chased him down and grabbed his.

Astoundingly, Trump has condemned Franken. Maybe he is delusional. Still no word on Moore from the man who enjoyed walking in on undressed teenage pageant contestants, and admitted forcing himself on women.

I never found Franken particularly funny as a comedian; I like his performance as a senator much better.
    I can’t help it. Here is another apologist for Franken. Did you hear the entire victim statement? How would you describe the forcible kissing incident? “Unforgivably juvenile” ? I can only deduce from your last statement that it is his politics that leads you to this position. If Trump did such a thing, you would be calling for his impeachment and arrest.

Jane, I almost wrote what you did about the juvenile photo. But then
    I remember that he rammed himself against her, insisting that they kiss for “rehearsal” and pushed his tongue down her throat.

Now, I will postulate that it might have NOT been been especially sexual for Al Franken, that I can envision. Some of these performers are “on” strong all the time. That's how I think of some of those Saturday Night Live regulars, as being regular people on steroids.

But the woman in question was bothered by it and told him so in no uncertain terms. To his credit, it doesnt seem like he attacked her agan, but I am vague on the timing of his advances toward her.

in the realm of offenses this is not a big deal, and I find his begging for an Ethic Investigation as icky as the original act. It is all very much as bae cited above, Maoist style flagellation. It is cringe worthy. Make it stop!!!

I am so utterly sick and tired of this being the No. 1 media story.

I've been kissed by people whose performances were at best inept, and at worst gagworthy. (And I don't remember any of them announcing their intentions...) How remiss of me not to report them to the proper authorities! But then I wasn't a helpless, clueless teenager at the time.

I agree completely--but I guess kiss and tell is more palatable than pipeline failures and trafficking in elephant parts.

The way I see Trump's words, probably a lot of people said fake news or ya da ya da. But out of his staunch supporters there is a small subset, say a few dozen or who knows, a few hundred, that are going to say, Donald the president and my hero says this locker talk and maybe actions are ok. It's cool. His position of high authority has created or encouraged maybe a multitude or harassers and abusers. And who knows how his sexist attitude affects his decision as world leader making that affects millions. I don't consider him fit for office for that reason alone, but he's is unfit for other reasons, too.

The picture, while unforgivably juvenile, was posed, with no touching of a woman who was apparently wearing a flack jacket. With several people in the room.
    That picture sexualizes, objectifies, demeans, and degrades that woman in a workplace setting, in front of her coworkers no-less. That picture was then *distributed* to the coworkers. This is the very picture of sexual harassment of a woman in the workplace.

I can't see how to defend or diminish that. In any company I have worked at, there would have been some actions taken.

I've been kissed by people whose performances were at best inept, and at worst gagworthy. (And I don't remember any of them announcing their intentions...)
    Consent is perhaps an issue for some...

Tybee, the more I think about this the more I think that you are right. Women just got used to dealing with such things. Also I was strong and was not affected by this garbage. But you are right that girls, woman and even boys should not have to worry about defending ourselves. So many things are wrong with this world. Senseless wars, senseless killing and the abuse of many people. Until I went to work for the state sexual harassment was not enforced and if the man was powerful and the woman was not it was the woman who lost her job. I think the worst thing about Franken was the kissing incident. I actually had always liked him. The picture was a bad idea also. He may be kissing his career goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tybee, the more I think about this the more I think that you are right. Women just got used to dealing with such things. Also I was strong and was not affected by this garbage. But you are right that girls, woman and even boys should not have to worry about defending ourselves. So many things are wrong with this world. Senseless wars, senseless killing and the abuse of many people. Until I went to work for the state sexual harassment was not enforced and if the man was powerful and the woman was not it was the woman who lost her job. I think the worst thing about Franken was the kissing incident. I actually had always liked him. The picture was a bad idea also. He may be kissing his career goodbye.
    I think we grew up in similar times, Terry, and so much of what happened was considered "normal." I think you are right, "women just got used to dealing with such things." As you say, people should not have to worry about defending themselves against these attacks.
    I think this was one of the more disturbing things about Franken was doing something to someone while they were asleep, then exposing them to mockery for his assault on them. And I think you are right, the physical assault was probably the worst.
    Maybe something good can come out of all these revelations, that we can think about what we consider normal and whether it's okay.
    And thank you very very much for your work with survivors of sexual abuse. I admire you for working to make a difference!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    We need to teach our children and grandchildren it is not OK to grab someone of the same sex or opposite sex and how to tell their teachers and parents. Why were these women, some with pictorial evidence or witnesses so afraid to come forward? Job loss, public humiliation at being labeled, and loss of reputation among others.

For far far too long women have been seen as sluts if they were raped (why didn’t you just hold your knees together tighter) while men were expected to sow their wild oats.

The most disturbing thing to me about the Al Franken story was not only acting like that but bragging and sharing the photo. It truly must have been embarrassing for her, all for a few laughs.

Political party makes no difference. It is shameful and if they truly were remorseful they would have the dignity to resign from public office. Instead the women have to relive the shame over and over in the court of public opinion.

Thread Information