Thread: 2016 Homicide Rates in NH, ME, MN

2016 Homicide Rates in NH, ME, MN

Not Sure, but maybe Public Policy is the category for this topic.

I see that the states with the lowest rates of homicide per 100,000 people are
    New Hampshire 1.3
    Maine 1.5
    Minnesota 1.8

I am wondering if any of you good people (especially if you live/lived in these 3 states) have a theory about why people in these states aren't killing each other at a rate that is equivalent to the other states. The US national rate is 5.3

Of all states and provinces in North America, the lowest rate is Newfoundland, at 0.6 "Come-home, Come-home, Come-home to Newfoundland!"

Yppej
    You did write theory.

In New Hampshire they are too busy killing themselves with opiates. And those who aren't addicted benefit from a very robust economy.

Williamsmith
    ”Why not Minot? Freezins the reason.”

I dont know where you got your statistics dado, but the Wikipedia article I see shows Minnesota as having a higher homicide rate than you show.

In that article the three states with lowest homicide rate from 2015 figures are

New Hampshire 1.1
    Hawaii 1.3
    Vermont 1.6

Probably states jockey in position according to differing annual rates but the trend is probably pretty much the same for some states to always be high and others to always be low.

But as for theory, probably demographics have rather a large impact on those homicide rates.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-10-17 at 1:55pm.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Is poverty any correlation. Some states with the highest rates are Mississippi and Louisiana, also the poorest states.
    Is race a factor? Religio? Number of illegal immigrants?

i know here in Florida there is a big gun culture and we have a higher than average rate. Many of my neighbors have lots of guns and they aren’t hunting alligators. When Obama was elected for the second time I knew people that were stocking up on guns and bullets because they were convinced he was going to declare martial law and send troops house to house to confiscate everyone’s guns and ammo. I guess that didn’t happen. Fear and rumors yield paranoia.

I wonder if the states with the lowest homicide rates may be benefiting from several years of emphasis on community policing (CP).

I note that Portland ME has a wide-ranging CP effort which includes:
    Liaison with Portland Housing Authority to help families that need support to connect with community resources,
    Neighborhood Block Parties,
    World Refugee Day observance,
    Summer Slam Basketball Program,
    Fishing with Youth,
    Runs for Charity,
    Cops With Cakes (officers bring birthday cakes and presents for children in family shelters),
    Backpack Project (officers organize a drive to buy backpacks and deliver them to needy kids at start of school year),
    Cop Camp (I think it's with youth, in cabins),
    After school recreation and academics,
    Shop With A Cop (for youth),
    School Mentor programs (addressing bullying and other student concerns that do not rise to a criminal level),
    Summer Foot Beats,
    Sports Clothing Bank,
    East End Free Summer Lunch for Kids,
    Night Out Parade (August) followed by community BBQ,
    Healthy Snacks Program (officers distribute to children).

In a similar vein, I note "Hew Hampshire Listens", a civic engagement program of UNH in liaison with the NAACP to foster dialogue in living rooms and community centers about Race and about Police-Community Relations.
    Merrimack NH uses social media to promote Coffee with a Cop.
    The Manchester NH Police Athletic League coaches youth in boxing, judo, wrestling, and aikido, and offers academic tutoring after school.
    Laconia NH operates a "recovery court" to help individuals with opiate addiction to get help. The police department goal is to respond to calls for help with "help, not handcuffs".

I plan to look into community policing efforts in Minnesota on another day.

While CP may be well established in these states, I am not suggesting it is a panacea. There may be neighboring states where the crime rates are worse (like WI, where CP is practiced in Milwaukee and Madison)

iris lilies,

I hope I am not repeating, but

Thanks for questioning the numbers. I rechecked. There was a decline in the MN crime rate from 2015 to 2016.

In 2016 MN had 100 homicides, according to FBI data quoted in the Star Tribune 6/20/17.
    MN population was 5,519,952. Therefor, the homicide rate was 1.81 per 100,000.
    Last edited by dado potato; 11-10-17 at 2:24pm.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I wonder if the states with the lowest homicide rates may be benefiting from several years of emphasis on community policing (CP).

I note that Portland ME has a wide-ranging CP effort which includes:
    Liaison with Portland Housing Authority to help families that need support to connect with community resources,
    Neighborhood Block Parties,
    World Refugee Day observance,
    Summer Slam Basketball Program,
    Fishing with Youth,
    Runs for Charity,
    Cops With Cakes (officers bring birthday cakes and presents for children in family shelters),
    Backpack Project (officers organize a drive to buy backpacks and deliver them to needy kids at start of school year),
    Cop Camp (I think it's with youth, in cabins),
    After school recreation and academics,
    Shop With A Cop (for youth),
    School Mentor programs (addressing bullying and other student concerns that do not rise to a criminal level),
    Summer Foot Beats,
    Sports Clothing Bank,
    East End Free Summer Lunch for Kids,
    Night Out Parade (August) followed by community BBQ,
    Healthy Snacks Program (officers distribute to children).

In a similar vein, I note "Hew Hampshire Listens", a civic engagement program of UNH in liaison with the NAACP to foster dialogue in living rooms and community centers about Race and about Police-Community Relations.
    Merrimack NH uses social media to promote Coffee with a Cop.
    The Manchester NH Police Athletic League coaches youth in boxing, judo, wrestling, and aikido, and offers academic tutoring after school.
    Laconia NH operates a "recovery court" to help individuals with opiate addiction to get help. The police department goal is to respond to calls for help with "help, not handcuffs".

I plan to look into community policing efforts in Minnesota on another day.

While CP may be well established in these states, I am not suggesting it is a panacea. There may be neighboring states where the crime rates are worse (like WI, where CP is practiced in Milwaukee and Madison)
    yay for community policing!

Here in St. louis, the murder capital of the U.s., we have “community Policing” that includes programs and events you list above, or similar ones.

I have talked at length about our neighborhood cop, recently retired (sob). Our citizen patrol. Our neighborhood safety program that will ncludes victim support, orders of protection to keep perps out of our neighborhood, organized visits to the courts on sentancing day, etc.

We are maintaining our role as Homicide Central despite all of the programs to combat it.

Check our our demographcs,
    I think that will give you a clue to the truth you seek.

The inner city neighborhoods where kids can make $ drug dealing and have absentee parents, violence, not enough to eat, bad school, etc all contribute to the problem. Because of the atmosphere even in families that really care and take care of their kids bad things happen to their kids regardless. Random drive by shootings, etc. Until we solve the poverty , gangs and hopelessness problem things will not change.

Thread Information