Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Not Buy Secondhand?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I wish I had a photo of DH’s store of used toilets, all lined up, in our tiny house we use for storage and gardening.

i just asked him, again, why do we have them? He said he keeps them just to irritate me so they are doing their job.
    Love is a battlefield. It's a rare couple who don't resort to crafty little psyops campaigns just to keep the juices flowing.

We replaced 3 toilets one time and my husband sledge hammered them into small pieces that fit in an empty mulch bag and went in the trash. Seems as if someone could do something with the shiny porcelain, but not us..

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Love is a battlefield. It's a rare couple who don't resort to crafty little psyops campaigns just to keep the juices flowing.
    I have told my friends “the day DH and I stop bickering with each other is the day you KNOW we are getting divorced.”
    We like engaging with each other, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    When we had some from remodeling we could not even give them away. WE had to dispose of them. I think I would drop a match on tiny junk home)
    Well, that would be a solution in some cases but

1) we have sunk major money To completely side it, roof it, and put in new windows. On the outside it looks nice. It was match worthy when we bought it and we wanted to tear it down but

2) it is in a historic district where we cannot tear it down

Yppej
    For a while old toilets were a hot item, as well as new ones being smuggled in from Canada, because the then new low flow requirement resulted in toilets that did not consistently flush completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    For a while old toilets were a hot item, as well as new ones being smuggled in from Canada, because the then new low flow requirement resulted in toilets that did not consistently flush completely.
    Aside from following the EU lead with regard to health care, I'd also like to follow their lead in having toilets with two flushers. No reason to waste a ton of water flushing pee. Regardless, I did get low-flow toilets for my bathrooms, and they work fine. I'm not that crazy about my low-flow kitchen sink faucet, though.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Pants. I got a black pair of track pants at Savers. They were warm, comfortable, and with the vertical stripe slimming. At the end of the day I decided to relax with a hot bath. It was chilly getting out of my clothes, but I was surprised by how my legs looked blue. I didn't think it was that cold. Then I realized it was only the parts of my skin that touched the pants that were purple. Quickly the entire tub turned purple, and it took me a half hour of scrubbing with increasingly abrasive products I'm not supposed to use on the refinished tub to get it clean, and there is still a faint purplish tinge.

When I was growing up I would sometimes dye clothes on the stove with Rit, and I remember black dye turned the water purple, but I never imagined something I bought at a store would bleed like this, when dry, all over my skin.

The pants are Gaze brand and made in Mexico. Beware.

It seems to be all navy or black clothing...my feet turn black from black socks, the jeans leave blue for several washes. It's very discouraging.

Plus it has an odd smell to it that doesn't come out for several washings. I have socks that are wearing out that still live a black tinge.

I always wash new blue jeans and socks before I wear them for the first time because I've experienced that kind of skin-dyeing before.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information