Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Not Buy Secondhand?

Every VV I have shopped at sorts by size and usually by color, too. I don't mind browsing, but I don't have the patience to dig through hundreds of garments to find my size.

And they're surely making a profit off my donations, with more to come...

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Every VV I have shopped at sorts by size and usually by color, too. I don't mind browsing, but I don't have the patience to dig through hundreds of garments to find my size.

And they're surely making a profit off my donations, with more to come...
    yes, here too. i meant that Goodwill doesnt sort by size. But St Vincent D Paul is now sorting by size. They also have a good selection of table placemats really cheap so I like going there even tough their clothing selection sucks.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-13-17 at 11:06am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Failure to sort by size shows disregard for the time of their customers, I think.
    As a guy, I have far more latitude AFA what's "in style". But that failure (^^^) is why I prefer to go almost anywhere rather than Goodwill for clothes. I know finding sizes on a garment takes far more time than sorting by color. But, yeah, no for-profit retail establishment could get away with that (Filene's Basement, maybe, but look what happened to them).

DW was in a Goodwill recently looking for accessories and she reported that they are now sorting by color and size. Hallelujah!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Do you ever wonder about the white shirts? Give me a nice white shirt and it will instantly develop a rosy bloom of spilled tomato sauce, a rip in the delicate lace, a pulled seam under the armpit. How do these obviously-not-new-but-nearly-pristine white shirts survive until they get to the thrift store??

I seldom find new clothes sorted by size. Sometimes t-shirts are the smalls, mediums, larges etc., but pants, oh no you'll go through the entire rack, and it will all random sizes throughout looking for your size.

some clothes I suppose actually get to thrifts basically unworn, maybe they were gifts, maybe bad purchases (sure they probably could have gotten their money back but for whatever reason didn't I guess).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    some clothes I suppose actually get to thrifts basically unworn, maybe they were gifts, maybe bad purchases (sure they probably could have gotten their money back but for whatever reason didn't I guess).
    I've bought clothing at thrift stores that still has the tags on. In addition, at least around here (don't know if it's a national thing) Goodwill teams with Target to sell returns and closeout merchandise, so a fair amount of new product there has the Target tag/sticker on it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Do you ever wonder about the white shirts? Give me a nice white shirt and it will instantly develop a rosy bloom of spilled tomato sauce, a rip in the delicate lace, a pulled seam under the armpit. How do these obviously-not-new-but-nearly-pristine white shirts survive until they get to the thrift store??
    They must have been donated unworn. I've scored lots of them in pristine condition. They probably won't survive me...

The Habitat for Humanity affiliate I work with has a ReStore, so I can say with some authority that almost nobody wants to buy used toilets.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The Habitat for Humanity affiliate I work with has a ReStore, so I can say with some authority that almost nobody wants to buy used toilets.
    I wish I had a photo of DH’s store of used toilets, all lined up, in our tiny house we use for storage and gardening.

i just asked him, again, why do we have them? He said he keeps them just to irritate me so they are doing their job.

When we had some from remodeling we could not even give them away. WE had to dispose of them. I think I would drop a match on tiny junk home)

Thread Information