Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Not Buy Secondhand?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I wish I knew what pants are supposed to look like. Boot cut or what, exactly? I live in stretch yoga type pants but wonder what the leg is supposed to look like if I were paying attention to the current look.
    I wear the same type of pant every day, and I've noticed that Old Navy's yoga-type pants have gotten more slender--no more wide leg, and not much flare. I was a little nervous about that because I don't think anyone wants to see a 65-year old walking around the supermarket in tight legging-style pants, but the ones I've found are straight, but not necessarily tight.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The pants silhouette is irksome to me. Women everywhere now where skinny pants and or leggings. IMO they aren't very flattering to the majority of women.
    and maybe they know that but it's not a choice. If all the stores sell are those type of pants that is what women will wear (actually I will wear raggety falling apart pants before wearing that, but that choice of all non-choices isn't really that flattering either when you get right down to it). I was looking online for basic work pants that actually look like they might look ok. Almost none of them look good ON THE MODEL. Look clothes models have bodies that are chosen as the best for displaying clothes, not as representative or best at anything else but the fricken clothes should at least look good on them. If you can't even get clothes to look good on THE MODEL, and the model looks utterly ridiculous in your wares, what is the chance of them looking good on the shorter, wider and curvier (even when not particularly overweight) etc. average woman. Just say no to clothes that don't even look good on the model. The only clothes I even saw that look good on the model were Banana Republic so I plan to hit that store soon.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Anything I can't wash. With clothing, I have to wash multiple times to get the Febreze smell out. The pants silhouette is irksome to me. Women everywhere now where skinny pants and or leggings. IMO they aren't very flattering to the majority of women. Although not in favor these days, a slim bootcut or straight leg kind of evens out the proportions so I can always find those second hand. I think you have to go with what looks the best proportion-wise regardless of trends.
    ++

I haven't strayed far from straight-leg or slightly tapered. I do have some leggings that I wear with dresses or long tops. Not that I'm a paragon of fashion, but I have the greatest admiration for those who find their own style and stick to it.

I can't say why exactly but when I see women wearing really tight skinny ankle pants with high heels, it looks odd to me - as if their pants shrunk in the wash. I am on a quest for some new blue jeans, either thrift or new, and there is a ridiculous amount of choices. Skinny, relaxed, straight, long short, average, slim, blah, blah. Very frustrating...

I have a garage sale every year with several neighbors participating. We are constantly clearing out our home and property. I will also sell for others. I love doing the sales and we have repeat customers every year. With all of that you would think I would love buying secondhand or bartering - nope. I rarely buy anything anymore that isn't a consumable. Being in the process of downsizing (still working on parents stuff too) I don't need to bring anything in. It all needs to go out, out, out.

Yppej
    Thank you all for your feedback. I got an interview blazer, pair of work pants, and two pairs of sweatpants. I was not impressed with the store though. I don't think it is any better than Salvation Army or Goodwill, prices are higher, and it's certainly no more upscale. The clothes still have that secondhand smell. There is an independent consignment store in my area I will try the next time I want a bargain. The selection is smaller but overall I think it is better. My mother found even less than I did so it was not worth the drive out of town for us. SA is local.

The thrift store around here is good for wooden furniture which they choose for sale. I buy little else in other thrift stores as the quality is uneven but usually poor. I have bought towels for my oil painting but after washing them, kept them and used my old towels for the painting instead.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Up here Value Village (Savers) is definitely better than Salvation Army, and I like shopping there better than I do at Goodwill. We have maybe twice as many VV stores as GW, and prices and selection are generally better.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Up here Value Village (Savers) is definitely better than Salvation Army, and I like shopping there better than I do at Goodwill. We have maybe twice as many VV stores as GW, and prices and selection are generally better.
    VV is nicer, that chain is for profit. Nothing wrong with profit!

Finally the suburban Goodwill I frequent is hanging its stock of pants on an angle like VV so that you can see immdiately into the labels and sizing.

Now maybe in the next decade they will actually sort all clothing by size. What a freeking concept.

Failure to sort by size shows disregard for the time of their customers, I think.

Thread Information