Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Becomng professional

So, I checked through my remaining inventory,and assuming minimal or no shoplifting, it was my new best sale! (Yay cat plates!)

I got an e-mail from the store I used to have pieces in telling me someone had asked if she would have my ornaments at her open house this year. I had to tell her no. I like her and appreciate the opportunity she gave me, (which I told her) but her commission is too high. (Which I also told her less directly)

she prides herself on how on how much she does for her consigners, but she changed her consignment policy because “I really want to help you all, but I am just not making enough money. It’s a business decision.” Her thought is that she has rent, advertising, and credit card processing fees, plus she has to keep track of the sales (using her personal complicated system which requires me to put an invidual numbered inventory sticker on each item, write it on her paper form, and wait as she personally checks each line item and initials it)

i live ten minutes from her store. I put my e-mail and mailing address on her list. I drive past her store to shop at a feed store two blocks from her that has a community bulletin board and a local business advertising table. I am not on Facebook. I didn’t know her open house was this weekend until she asked about the ornaments. Awesome advertising!

She also hands out coupons for her special events (available at the register) giving ten percent off and doesn’t let you opt out or take that from her share. So I had to mark the ornaments up to $15 in order to gross $10.50 or $9.45 after coupon. The ornaments cost about 80 cents in materials and take almost an hour total to make.

at the studio where they are currently hanging in the gallery, I drop them off in a box labeled with my name and the price. (13.50) I gross $10.80 each and sell more.

i pretty much told her it was unfortunately a business decision because the current location is already a stop in my schedule and has a more generous consignment policy.

If she wants the ornaments, she can ask what I would be willing to work out ($11 each for me and she can price them) I also told her she was welcome to give my e-mail to the person who asked (she probably won’t. I would have. A personality difference that keeps me from feeling the gratitude she seems to expect when she gushes about how much she does for her consigners - it’s transactional, not personal.)

Good for you CL, making decisions wise for you! congrats on having your best sale ever!

Thread Information