Thread: East Coast / West Coast

East Coast / West Coast

I love to travel and in the last couple of months we have worked on our East coast explorations. A few years back we did a New England trip in the fall and I fell in love with all the history. This fall we did the historic cities (DC, NY etc) and I came home with my head reeling with so much history. I loved it and wished all kids could take a trip and learn history by standing in it as we did. I was never that interested in American history in school and I couldn't get enough on the trip and came home to start a list of books and movies to watch. We just got back from doing the perimeter of Florida and got to see what is left if the damage from Irma down in the Keys. We met and talked to a lot of workers who have been busting their buns to get things back up and running. So much to do!

It was interesting to me to observe the subtle cultural differences between the coasts. Even down to ordering the same type of food but it being just a little bit different. Loved talking with people about their views even though we did not get into strong political discussions we did have some interesting ones with folks in DC who had traveled there to speak with representatives about them losing their jobs to China. They really did not have a good grasp on the global economy and how things work. They were very upset with Samsung in their town undercutting the business of Whirlpool. One of the guys said he was going to throw his phone away and buy Apple because it was made in America. DH had to explain that Apple wasn't American made....

I wouldn't trade travel for anything. It really gives me an idea of how other people are living and thinking. We can become so isolated in our own areas and ways of thought.

I so agree with you.

Travel even just outside your local area is significant but further afield is even better.
    I travelled to Portugal, also Spain, to see triggers and routes of the sailing ships to the Caribbean to/from on the Gulf Stream and Tradewinds after visiting Puerto Rico. St Augustine, FL was interesting to see why people moved into areas with swamps with alligators etc. When one visits, it makes sense.
    Glad that you had the chance to explore. Off to San Francisco this winter to understand the gold rush and other major events in that part of the world. We both live in a diverse part of the world seeing life from one coast to the other.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Loved St Augustine. We didn't realize how much water there was in Florida. I know - duh..... But until we flew over and then started driving I really had no idea. We did get to go through the Everglades. People of a certain vintage might remember a one season show called Everglades back in '61. I was always fascinated with airboats after watching that show at the impressionable age of five. So I got to do that and let me tell you. If I owned one of those I would be on it every day. Loved it.
    Just a bit left of the East coast to connect all the states and then it will be on to a new adventure. So glad my DH is doing better and tolerating travel again.

Thread Information