Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argentina & Uruguay

Argentina & Uruguay

After much deliberation (with myself) I have decided to travel to Argentina & Uruguay in December.

I have never been to South America, and these two places specifically called to me.

I'll be traveling solo and minimally (with one rucksack).

The details of the trip are still to be determined...

That will be massive fun! I'd love to hear your impressions of Uruguay, I've often thought it would be a great place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    That will be massive fun! I'd love to hear your impressions of Uruguay, I've often thought it would be a great place to live.
    Yes, I think it will be a great trip. Uruguay has been at the top of my list for a long time. I plan to indulge in some foods I'd otherwise abstain from -- like I will get an Argentine steak and enjoy Uruguayan asada.

But I also hope to hang out at the beach, maybe see some historical and cultural stuff.

I know enough Spanish to get into trouble and halfway out. haha

Glad to see you are doing some traveling. I did not get to do much until my late 40's. Now at 63 we are doing 2 big trips/year. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Glad to see you are doing some traveling. I did not get to do much until my late 40's. Now at 63 we are doing 2 big trips/year. Have fun!
    Any highlights from recent trips?

I told me parents I am going to South America -- Argentina and Uruguay -- and the both had a fit. My dad, very out-of-the-norm, gave me a 15 minute lecture about how screwed up those countries are -- how the cops will shake me down and lock in me jail for no reason, how everyone will try to steal from me, how druglords will kidnap me, etc.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I told me parents I am going to South America -- Argentina and Uruguay -- and the both had a fit. My dad, very out-of-the-norm, gave me a 15 minute lecture about how screwed up those countries are -- how the cops will shake me down and lock in me jail for no reason, how everyone will try to steal from me, how druglords will kidnap me, etc.
    Dont worry UL....if you end up in jail, Trump will arrange for your release and then you can humiliate yourself in front of the entire nation by expressing your gratitude for his benevolence.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Dont worry UL....if you end up in jail, Trump will arrange for your release and then you can humiliate yourself in front of the entire nation by expressing your gratitude for his benevolence.
    That'd sure be nice of him!

I avoid trouble when traveling. When I was in Jordan a couple of Europeans were "debating" religious differences with a Muslim Jordanian. I kept my distance!

In Israel I came upon two demonstrations, one in the Arab part of Tel Aviv. Again, I kept my distance. I listened from afar for a couple minutes and then hightailed it out of there!

If anything like protests or trouble happens in Argentina or Uruguay I am taking prompt evasive action.

UL: we went to both Italy and Poland twice. both places were very beautiful and full of history. WE also take cruises which I don't think would be your cup of tea. WE cruised to Alaska, New England and Canada and various Caribbean islands.

I leave in less than 24 hours. I am a bit anxious...

Thread Information