Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: "I have two black daughters — and I'm racist"

Article: "I have two black daughters — and I'm racist"

This article is worth reading. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...22023#comments

"I am the co-owner of a successful business with clients across the U.S. and in 27 countries. We have a racially diverse staff of 22. Over the years I have supported efforts to improve the conditions of “underserved” blacks. And I think it’s fair to say that, while I see the color of a person’s skin, I am able to get beyond it. I am a white man but I attended an integrated junior high school, dated across the race line, and two of my four adopted children are black. There is a good chance my two beautiful daughters will one day bless me with black grandchildren.And I am racist."

My thoughts:

Guys like the author really make liberals look silly.

Here's the thing: a bit of recent psych research (looking at brain activity and reaction times and such while images are being displayed) seems to indicate every single human being is "racist".

So what?

Maoist-style mandatory self-criticism and virtue signalling aren't particularly interesting. #stylish_though_it_is

What penance could he perform that would erase the stain history has placed on his soul? Give all his earthly goods to the oppressed? Endlessly talking about race for the rest of his life doesn't seem all that productive.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What penance could he perform that would erase the stain history has placed on his soul? Give all his earthly goods to the oppressed? Endlessly talking about race for the rest of his life doesn't seem all that productive.
    It makes them feel better. It is all about the feelings.

I think it would be better if everyone stopped putting people into boxes based upon their skin tone. I realize that takes away the opportunity to assuage white guilt and opportunities to signal virtue, but both of those require an unending supply of victims to make them feel better. I believe the author's time would be better spent helping people live up to a great man's wish that people be judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. It seems so simple...
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I friggin' love the responses so far!

I've got a black grandson. Lately I've been thinking that I'm racist too.

Let me explain – there are just certain ideas that I carry subconsciously that are informed by my totally white background. And some of those ideas are based in generalizations, and are therefore racist.

I don't necessarily agree with this article - his explanation didn't seem particularly logical to me. But I do resonate with the title of the article. It's just the way it is when one is raised in a non-diverse community. All white. All German. All Mennonite. All farmers. It's a limiting world and it's still somewhere deep down inside of me.

I may be, I was picked on a lot as a child, so I often don't feel safe, around many people, but sometimes it has a racial element.
    Trees don't grow on money

Williamsmith
    I’m thinking of turning into a Benedictine Friar and adopting a public building, stand outside and open the door to every person of color that approaches to assuage my racism. White people will have to help themselves.

Thread Information