Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: "I have two black daughters — and I'm racist"

Well, Canada may not have the same degree of issue with the black community but we do with the aboriginal people.

I think that author has decided to help raise awareness which is important.

It took consciousness raising to correct the drunk driving frequency, as it did for improving women's rights. While I don't drink, i remember being told that I would not be able to get a loan without my DH's signature but when queried the bank agent told me that whatever my DH borrowed without my knowledge was my responsibility. So many other injustices were corrected once more people were made aware.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I’m thinking of turning into a Benedictine Friar and adopting a public building, stand outside and open the door to every person of color that approaches to assuage my racism. White people will have to help themselves.
    Explain more. I am not sure I see what you are getting at...

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Well, Canada may not have the same degree of issue with the black community but we do with the aboriginal people.

I think that author has decided to help raise awareness which is important.

It took consciousness raising to correct the drunk driving frequency, as it did for improving women's rights. While I don't drink, i remember being told that I would not be able to get a loan without my DH's signature but when queried the bank agent told me that whatever my DH borrowed without my knowledge was my responsibility. So many other injustices were corrected once more people were made aware.
    Canada is so quaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Canada is so quaint.
    The last Canadian "residential" school to "help" the First Nations children "fit in" only closed in 1996...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadi..._school_system

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Explain more. I am not sure I see what you are getting at...
    What would be the Friars motivation?

At what point does consciousness raising become an empty ritual of virtue-signalling? If someone feels that history has dealt him an unfairly favorable hand, he's certainly free to take whatever remedial action he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    At what point does consciousness raising become an empty ritual of virtue-signalling? If someone feels that history has dealt him an unfairly favorable hand, he's certainly free to take whatever remedial action he likes.
    So we shouldn't try to raise awareness of matters that should be addressed? I'm not talking about retribution for every last sin, but certainly if consciousness-raising leads to enlightenment I'm all for it. I'll risk a little empty virtue-signaling along with the consciousness-raising, if that's what it takes to elevate the culture.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Indeed. We shouldn't let the usual barrage of conservative insults prevent us from trying to right social wrongs. Besides, if you've got virtue--or a bit of human decency (so rare these days), You should flaunt it.

Canada is so quaint.
    Canada has serious issues dealing with indigenous Canadians (which was the point actually being brought up about Canada), there is nothing quaint about it. Life is often not so great for the decedents of native American's either? That is true as well.
    Trees don't grow on money

"Racist" is a very loaded word, and like most loaded things (guns, trucks, potatoes, etc.) it should be deployed carefully. In a few instances in the article, I think the author would have better used the word "prejudiced" (though that one is fairly loaded as well). I'm sure "racist" has far greater Web-click value.

While I agree with Alan that
    I think it would be better if everyone stopped putting people into boxes based upon their skin tone.
    my experience on this earth is that the notion wears far better at lecterns and on paper than it has in real life. How much unequal treatment is founded in racism rather than xenophobia or classism is hard to say; I think all three are in play most times and they often are hard to separate.

But awareness matters. Our DD/DSiL routinely designate a sober driver or make plans for a taxi or Uber car if they're out partying because they and their Millenial peers are aware of how little alcohol it takes to be impaired. Awareness of sexual boundaries today is ending the careers of movie producers, actors, and members of Congress even if much of what they're accused of was once considered permissible social behavior some decades ago. Too many of us (me included) know people who have been pulled over for "Driving While Black".

There's nothing wrong with stating clearly that there's something wrong, that certain groups are advantaged and others disadvantaged by that wrong, and then working toward fixing the issue. And that's what I wish the author would have taken as his main theme rather than the self-flagellation he performed in the article.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information