Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Siding

Yppej

Aluminum Siding

I have some old aluminum siding the the basement, in lengths of around 12 feet. It is way too big to put in the city issued standard size trash barrel without tipping it over. Is there a way to cut this into smaller pieces? Since I haven't needed it in 20+ years rather than continue to keep it around in case I need it some day I'd like to get rid of it.

Williamsmith
    Put it out on the curb.....someone will take it in a jiffy. It’s worth .50-.60 cents a pound.

Yppej
    Thank you. I will do that this weekend.

[QUOTE=Williamsmith;284038]Put it out on the curb.....someone will take it in a jiffy. It’s worth .50-.60 cents a pound.[/QUOTE

Yes, aluminum will go quickly. We put anything big and recyclable at the end of our driveway and it is picked up almost immediately. It helps that we live on the road to a recycle center. One time I took an old grill, some angle iron and an old water holding tank to the end of the driveway and as I was unloading it a guy stopped and we put it directly in his truck. Good for me and good for him.

Yppej, you are inspiring me with your thorough approach to cleaning your house out! I wish I lived closer to you so I could help you and you could help me.
    But reading your posts is actually very helpful! I bought the mothballs for the mice, just have not put them out yet and need to.

I was going to say, if you've got a truck haul that siding to the metal recyclers because they buy it. Williamsmith already suggested the curb which is less time consuming for you.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

If you have a reciprocating saw, like a sawzall, they make blades for cutting metal. I've used mine for cutting cutter material and it goes rather slow for that, but it works.

Tin snips would get through aluminum siding, too. You also could bend it (by gloved hands) into lengths you could carry to the boulevard. I would put minimal energy into it. It will disappear quickly.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    No truck, so to the curb it will go.

Yppej
    Thank you Tybee. I hope the mothballs work for you.

Thread Information