Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The wife got a new car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The wife got a new car

I hate shopping for new cars, but the wife wanted a suv so we got a suv. She had a mercury Milan hybrid, which cost extra at the time but is now worth less because it’s a hybrid.

And for some reason the insurance on a new BMW is actually less than I was paying for the 2010 Mercury. Not a lot, but I’ve got a refund check of around $25 coming.

She has an appointment next week with the expert at the dealership to help her set everything up and how to work all the gadgets in the car.

I sold my GE stock a few weeks ago to pay for this when I was still actually showing a small gain. It was in the low $20. So now you can expect for GE stock to bounce back and for fuel prices to rise.

Williamsmith
    I don’t think it’s fair that you can guys can afford a BMW and my wife can only afford a Toyota. Where’s my subsidy?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I don’t think it’s fair that you can guys can afford a BMW and my wife can only afford a Toyota. Where’s my subsidy?
    Well, under the individual mandate of the American Auto Industry Renewal Plan, we each will be required to purchase a new American-made car every year, or pay a penalty. If your income is low enough, you may receive some subsidies or tax credits to aid in your purchase. Many states are setting up an Exchange where you can easily shop for your required new vehicle each year.

But BMWs and higher-end Toyotas won't be offered.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, under the individual mandate of the American Auto Industry Renewal Plan, we each will be required to purchase a new American-made car every year, or pay a penalty. If your income is low enough, you may receive some subsidies or tax credits to aid in your purchase. Many states are setting up an Exchange where you can easily shop for your required new vehicle each year.

But BMWs and higher-end Toyotas won't be offered.
    I actually expected that to happen as part of the GM bailout once Obama Care had set the precedent of requiring people to purchase products they didn't want.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

You can't compare health insurance to cars

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    You can't compare health insurance to cars
    You got me there, they are two different products. The issue is if the government can force you to buy one, nothing stops them from forcing you to buy the other.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    You got me there, they are two different products. The issue is if the government can force you to buy one, nothing stops them from forcing you to buy the other.
    The federal government has already established that it can force me to *not* grow grain on my own farm to feed to my own livestock on that same farm. Even if the grain and the livestock never leave the state.

So they can pretty much tell us to buy iPhones if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The federal government has already established that it can force me to *not* grow grain on my own farm to feed to my own livestock on that same farm. Even if the grain and the livestock never leave the state.

So they can pretty much tell us to buy iPhones if they want.
    Can’t you just get paid from the government to not farm the land, and then buy grain?

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Can’t you just get paid from the government to not farm the land, and then buy grain?
    I believe that is why they nailed the grain farmer, he was playing the wrong game.

This one was actually built in South Carolina. And those Toyota’s ain’t cheep either.

My stock market gains were so high this year I figured I’d sell some and splurge a little.

Thread Information