Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The wife got a new car

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Not at all. If you dont pay income tax, you dont pay for military.
    But how realistic is it for most people to not pay income tax? Or in most parts of the country to not have a car, which you are forced to buy auto insurance for? Most folks don't live in a cabin in the woods shut off from society like the Unabomber.

Yeah, unfortunately some of us common middle class folk haven't figured out a way to avoid federal tax.

And why are BMWs better than Toyota for that matter. My friends would laugh at me if I bought a BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    But how realistic is it for most people to not pay income tax? Or in most parts of the country to not have a car, which you are forced to buy auto insurance for? Most folks don't live in a cabin in the woods shut off from society like the Unabomber.
    My five year old friend pays no time ncome tax. Yet, he must have health insurance.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-18-17 at 12:04pm.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    One of the reasons I, as a pacific individual, have structured my income so as to rarely pay federal income tax over the last 20 years.

Do you ever feel like you're not pulling your share for other federal programs. Like National Parks and forests, funding disease research, fish and wildlife protections, or federal assistance for schools. In the perfect world it would be nice which mandates we pay for and which we don't. I can see charitable contributions covering some but never all.
    Last edited by Rogar; 11-18-17 at 10:27am.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]Do you ever feel like you're not pulling your share for other federal programs.
    No. What’s “my share”? I in the past have donated 90% of my capital to charitable causes that I feel have real impact, and on an ongoing basis donate 90%-ish of my income to similar efforts. I prefer to select the recipients myself, and to work with them directly to maximize the ROI.

Yeah, unfortunately some of us common middle class folk haven't figured out a way to avoid federal tax.

And why are BMWs better than Toyota for that matter. My friends would laugh at me if I bought a BMW.
    We looked at the Toyota’s, along with several other makes. My wife liked the BMW best. It was not the most expensive vehicle we looked at. They are very common here.

I pay plenty of taxes, even though I have no earned income. I am able to put it off and make some years better than others, but I always pay.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    No. What’s “my share”? I in the past have donated 90% of my capital to charitable causes that I feel have real impact, and on an ongoing basis donate 90%-ish of my income to similar efforts. I prefer to select the recipients myself, and to work with them directly to maximize the ROI.

That's a decent approach. I could wish for a similar option over what I pay in routine income taxes. I don't have a definition for my share. I suppose it is something we can live with and not feel like we are slighting our obligations to certain just causes or being selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    We looked at the Toyota’s, along with several other makes. My wife liked the BMW best. It was not the most expensive vehicle we looked at. They are very common here.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post

I pay plenty of taxes, even though I have no earned income. I am able to put it off and make some years better than others, but I always pay.

Possibly there is still some cow town influence here. At least out here in the city fringe BMWs still have a bit of a pretentious image, but a fancy truck the never gets used as such and might be more expensive is considered practical. I tend to go heavily with Consumer Reports reliability ratings, where Toyotas always fair very well.

Williamsmith

Possibly there is still some cow town influence here. At least out here in the city fringe BMWs still have a bit of a pretentious image, but a fancy truck the never gets used as such and might be more expensive is considered practical. I tend to go heavily with Consumer Reports reliability ratings, where Toyotas always fair very well.
    Incidentally, I love my Toyota’s...both of them.

I got a refund from my insurance company. Evidently it’s cheaper to insure a new BMW SUV than a 7 year old hybrid car. The difference in value was quite a bit.

Ill take it, but surprised.

Thread Information