Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I don't get the big deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Real estate taxes in Illinois ...a real problem. Yes.
    Maybe. I live in downtown Chicago. Quick math tells me I am paying about 1.5% a year in property tax. That of course could go up but it is not much more than the 1.2% I paid in Georgia or anywhere near the 4% some of my friends pay in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Maybe. I live in downtown Chicago. Quick math tells me I am paying about 1.5% a year in property tax. That of course could go up but it is not much more than the 1.2% I paid in Georgia or anywhere near the 4% some of my friends pay in NJ
    In St. louis we are paying 1.28 % and that buys us shitty public schools, but thatbis a different topic.

The places in Belleville I look at seem to be closer to 2 - 3 %. But I dont have a good grasp on it. I
    do know that the fabulous old house I love in Alton is currently listed under $300,000 and the taxes are $8,000 but that is an unusual case, the list price has been dropping for two years on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    You also have to consider that Chicago has one of the highest sales tax rates of big American cities. They have been debating a city income tax as well. Like the State, the City has been flirting with junk credit status for some time.

Thread Information