Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arlo Guthrie!

Arlo Guthrie!

We saw Arlo live tonight! He was definitely on my live music bucket list. We got a City of New Orleans, one of my all-time most favorite songs.
    It was a fun and very interesting show including his children and grandchildren and son-in-law, a very musical family. The family thing reminded me a little bit of Trump, but a lot more benign. The family takes their Woody Guthrie legacy very seriously, and did This Land is Your Land, among other songs of his.

I attribute a good portion of my hearing loss to an Arlo concert when I was 20. Small venue, but I was unfortunately close to a stack of speakers. Even back then, I normally brought hearing protection, but that night I didn’t, figuring “how loud could he be?”

It was a great show though!

In college I went to school near Alice's Restaurant and we made a pilgrimage senior year. What an amazing meal.

I'm really glad that with all those children to potentially pass it along to, he didn't get the gene for Huntington's disease from his father.

How wonderful to read! I named my youngest Arlo

Biking Lady: Cool! Did you name him after Arlo Guthrie?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    We saw Arlo live tonight! He was definitely on my live music bucket list. We got a City of New Orleans, one of my all-time most favorite songs.
    A song written by the great Steve Goodman, and covered by many. I kind of like his original version.

I saw him last year in November (again) - he had recently ended the 50th anniversary of Alice's Restaurant tour, so that wasn't played. But still a good show.

I did see David Crosby last Monday in Arlington, it was a great show as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    A song written by the great Steve Goodman, and covered by many. I kind of like his original version.
    Guthrie loves to relate how Goodman first played City of New Orleans for him. and it
    is even repeated in Wikipedia:

"While at the Quiet Knight bar in Chicago, Goodman saw Arlo Guthrie, and asked to be allowed to play a song for him.
    Guthrie grudgingly agreed, on the condition that if Goodman bought him a beer, Guthrie would listen to him play for as
    long as it took to drink the beer.
    [2] Goodman played "City of New Orleans", which Guthrie liked enough that he asked to record it."

In the interviews or videos, Guthrie likes to add:
    "That was the best beer I ever drank."

Dunno whether he related that at the concert that rosarugosa went to...
    I love Goodman; his songs were so warm and human and told such good stories...

Thread Information