Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tracking work tasks for boss

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I would love someone to shadow me so I could show them all the inefficient, outdated things about our computer system that slow me down.
    Yes! That is something considered critical in my workplace, for managers to sit with employees as they go through the work. We call them "Process Walks." The idea is to go to where the work is actually done, and hear from the people who do the work if there is a better way. I've had it happen that I drafted a process that looked good on paper, but then sitting with an employee who was trying to follow the steps showed me there were elements that needed changing. One time there was a process nobody was following as they were supposed to be, and I sat with each employee, learned from them, made changes and then sat with them again. We eventually ended up with a decent process that everyone was happy to follow, and it pulled in ideas and best practices from everyone. I found it a very useful tool when I could find time to make use of it. Haven't gotten to do much of this in recent months, unfortunately. I will also say that we all felt awkward about it at first, but it became something that we all liked and employees would save certain things that they wanted to go through while I was with them.

This is really good advice! You have a job to do and he can shadow without interruption. Only then can you arrange a discussion time. Your day is already full, set the schedule and follow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    It's a good idea to go with the boss' idea rather than doing it differently. For many reasons. And when he shadows you don't talk to him. He wants to see what you do, not listen to you talk about what you do. Let him watch as if he's invisible. That's the whole point.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information