Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone else having a hard time/sexual allegations

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by news fatigue. In my case I believe it is because I am allowing too much exposure to "breaking news" on the cable news channel of choice in our household. I get relief by giving cable news a rest.

I think it is possible to take control so that I still get a feed of credible investigative journalism, while being tuned out of cable news. A low cost way is to subscribe to ProPublica.org stories via email. I would only open the stories that interest me. If I know that stories about rape and sexual assault tend to upset me, I can simply delete those stories unread. Or, if I start reading something and it reaches a level of disgust, I can hit the delete key.

(I also have a print subscription to the Sunday New York Times, and with that I get a daily news feed from NYT by email. This is more costly than ProPublica. I treat the NYT News and Opinion feed the same way -- only reading that which interests me.)

Socially I may find myself in a group that is animatedly talking about a recent sensational news item that I really don't know anything about. I cannot contribute anything to these discussions... but I can sometimes change the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by news fatigue.
    Me too. I can't stand watching the news anymore. Years ago I saw a documentary where I learned for the first time that only 6 corporations own all the major news outlets. From then on, I consider watching the news entertaining, but certainly not a good resource for critical thinking. It's a propaganda machine, as far as I'm concerned.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Me too. I can't stand watching the news anymore. Years ago I saw a documentary where I learned for the first time that only 6 corporations own all the major news outlets. From then on, I consider watching the news entertaining, but certainly not a good resource for critical thinking. It's a propaganda machine, as far as I'm concerned.

So true. Unless it’s ‘just the facts ma’am’ it’s all propaganda. One side saying we have the truth (usually simply opinion) and the other side is wrong whereas in reality it is propaganda versus propaganda. We all filter what we hear through our own world view and experience. I remember when I first learned about ‘yellow journalism’ in school. I sure think most of the news today fit’s the definition of yellow journalism, ‘exaggeration, sensationalism and scandal mongering’. The news channels are heavy laden with opinion and scant on facts. It’s important to recognize this and to not get caught up in the fray. I wonder if part of the problem is that there are so many 24 hours news channel and internet websites that fill time with editorials and opinions whereas 40 or so years ago there were a limited news sources, therefore, more likely to present ‘just the facts’. People have an unhealthy tendency to gravitate toward the sensational. Like gossip…..walk away.

Maybe it's my OCD, or my being sort of a hermit, but I feel addicted to the news. It makes me mad many times, but I just can't seem to break the habit. Part of me doesn't want to miss something of importance.
    I do watch CBS in the mornings, since they seem to be less nonsense than ABC or NBC, but sometimes I turn it off after a half hour because I know the important stuff is over.

Yes, it is sort of an addiction........which is fun for awhile, but then becomes a heavy weight on one's shoulders. And, unfortunately, there's too much truth in some of the things going on.........shootings, other crimes, lies, all the sexual allegations, the commercials that are just plain not true, and on and on. Even if it doesn't depress us in a conscious way, surely it takes a toll on our wellbeing.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Have you talked back to him? Have you talked to the manager? In what way does he harass you? I guess I have lost my inhibitions of speaking out in my "old age". It feels good.
    I'm sorry this happens to you. You seem like a person who speaks out, so I was just wondering if you did in this case.

I never spoke out when I was young, due to an authoritarian father. In my middle age, I probably over-compensated and spoke out too much. I like to think I've found a happy medium.......but one never knows.
    No, I am afraid he would follow me to the parking lot and key my car or slash my tires or something. My avoidance plan has worked.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Yes, it is sort of an addiction........ Even if it doesn't depress us in a conscious way, surely it takes a toll on our wellbeing.
    I think watching/reading news can be an addiction (maybe because it tickles something base within us) and like any addition it does take it’s toll. There has to be a conscious decision to change. For example, I would find myself ruminating over something I heard on the news and not in a good way. I prepared for three days to cut back on watching cable news, then to only watch local news, which is actual news and not opinion, and the 30 minute national news on a major station. I am not a ‘quit cold turkey’ type of person, I have to prepare, prepare, prepare. It worked. I felt a sense of not only accomplishment but it cleared my head for more productive thoughts.

I'm a recovering news junkie (Hi, Jane!)--the Trump era cured me overnight, along with my local station having been bought by Sinclair--a virulent Foxesque outlet. I get more than enough news in my FB newsfeed and in the one or two hours of commentary I allow myself at night.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    No, I am afraid he would follow me to the parking lot and key my car or slash my tires or something. My avoidance plan has worked.
    think about writing an anonymous letter. Worth the price of a stamp if you can help someone who is unable to avoid him.

I am glad to see I am not the only one with news fatigue. Trying only to look at headlines that I find relevant, but the distractions just pop up. Today I read the local paper of my father's town, just to see what was happening there locally. Oh the representative released a statement:U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell added her name Friday to those who have been sexually harassed, saying a "prominent" person tried to put his hand up her skirt decades ago. No name mentioned.

It is impossible to get away from unless I go under a rock.

I want to add I feel for all those affected by this topic and every other topic out there today. I just do not like to see all consuming of one topic on the news.

Thread Information