Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: electric toothbrushes -- opinions?

Fidgiegirl, it's not just theory. My DH and I have a Sonicare Elite. Two interchangeable heads that sit in a holder and just screw on to the handle. Yes, expensive. And the models of the heads are not interchangeable. I agree, so much better results than manually. I use both, using the Sonicare when I feel I need extra cleaning action. By doing that I don't have to buy new heads as often.

I will never be without my Sonicare! My teeth always feel so clean and when I do use a manual toothbrush, I can definitely feel the difference. It is a bit pricey (look for Bed Bath & Beyond sales and coupons) and the replacement heads aren't cheap either, but it's so worth it. The bristles sort of vibrate instead of spin, which makes it different than other electric toothbrushes. I'm ashamed to admit how many years since I've been to a dentist so I like to think that I'm avoiding problems and painful cleanings by using this. It feels wonderful on your gums too.

FYI, the Clarisonic facial brush, made by the same company, is fantastic as well. I have rosacea and needed something gentle; again, the vibrating (not spinning) bristles clean your skin so gently. I'm in my mid 40s and the Clarisonic combined with healthier, more natural skin-care products have made my skin the best it has ever been.

My dentist pushed us into Sonicare about 20 years ago. I didn't want to spend the money, but I finally gave in. What a difference! No more painful cleanings, no more cavities. I no longer have dental insurance so going to the dentist is very expensive. I recently had a filling replaced and it cost $200!

I guess I'll be the outlier here, stick my neck out. I used a Sonicare for years (maybe 6-7?) on advice from my dentist. And while I was okay with it, when it became time to replace it for about the 3rd time, I decided to go back to low-tech manual. I just didn't like paying that much for a toothbrush, dealing with battery disposal, and using electricity to clean my teeth. So far, my checkups haven't been any different. Just my personal choice/reason.

I am pretty picky about my manual toothbrushes, though. I like the ones with higher outer (rubber) bristles.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I like the Sonicare too. You can take it into the shower! I have incredibly good dental genetics, so my slovenly ways in my younger years did not impact my dental health. My DH, who does not have such genetics, has clearly benefitted from his Sonicare use.

BTW, the brush on my Sonicare looks like a regular toothbrush, rectangular, not round. The recharging unit has a light that is always on. Our house is very dark; I use that light to see at night in the bathroom. So, while I don't like that it uses electricy, it's better than banging myself on things in the dark.

I have an Oral-B electric toothbrush with the charging stand. I got it because my dentist urged me to get it since my gums have been receding pretty badly over the last few years. DH bought it for me as my bday gift so we could justify the expense a little better. I really like it and prefer it to a manual brush. I don't know that it's improving my teeth and gums yet since I've only had it since September. I think if I get back into the habit of flossing then it will make a big difference.
    "Wealth consists not in having great possessions but in having few wants." - Epicurus

Thank you, everyone, for posting your thoughts & experiences -- very helpful!

I've tried both the Sonicare and Oral B. Both were much better than manual, but I preferred the smaller head of the Oral B. If you have a small mouth like me, the Sonic are is a bit too wide to reach the back molars.

We have an oral B toothbrush and love it. Check with your dentists office. We got a coupon for $10 off from ours several years ago. I hate to brush my teeth so the electric toothbrush makes it go faster for me.

Thread Information