Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: A Closing and a Closure and an Opening

  1. #21
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    2,275
    Catherine, could you describe the Vermont residence in more detail? And contrast it to your current house. If you have the interest in doing so. I’m curious about what lifestyle changes you will have to consider when you finally make the move a cast off the NJ home. I assume you could continue to work he same job from Vermont? Thank you.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,431
    congratulations, Catherine. Sounds like an excellent plan to encourage downsizing.

  3. #23
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    7,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Catherine, could you describe the Vermont residence in more detail? And contrast it to your current house. If you have the interest in doing so. I’m curious about what lifestyle changes you will have to consider when you finally make the move a cast off the NJ home. I assume you could continue to work he same job from Vermont? Thank you.
    I want to keep myself anonymous, otherwise I'd share the link, but here's the description of the property:

    This two bedroom year round lake front home is ready for you to move right in! The home has been completely updated and renovated with new appliances, windows, fresh paint and thoughtful additions. All the work is done! Sited on a corner lot facing Lake Champlain you'll love the views from your living room and enjoy the 530 feet of shared direct lake front and 1.7 acres of common land. There is a shared concrete dock for your boat and the sunsets are incredible. There's plenty of storage space for your toys in the 4 out buildings and most of the furnishings and the riding mower are included!

    Here are some pics. House is 668 sq ft. My home is 1900 square feed, two stories, two homes office, 3 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, quarter acre in a typical subdivision. This new house has two bedrooms, small living room, dining area, kitchen 1 bath.


    house back.jpghouse exterior.jpghouse interior.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  4. #24
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    2,275
    I will restrain myself from asking too many questions. It’s my nature....you understand. That’s a cute bungalow but you are going to be doing some serious downsizing. I have similar tastes but it would be located in the mountains as a hunting camp.

    What kind of taxes go with this.....any shared fees......water source.....sewage facilities....electric or gas heat.....basement.......fireplace?

    I know, I promised not to ask.

  5. #25
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11,098
    That is cute and looks like a place to have fun.

    gads, I am thinking it was just two or so years ago that your husband couldn't see leaving your NJ house at all. Now he is going off on adventure to a new place. Isnt he the guy who is gregarious? I can see him being the life of the party with neighbors in that common space you all share. He will organize garden work days and harvest events and potluck get togethers and etc.

    I will bet that you find much more community there than you now have in your suburban place.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,012
    Cute house! If you want to continue working and can swing it financially, always good to have both options. I have enough complications with one house

  7. #27
    Senior Member Geila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,035
    Congratulations! That is a cute house. You might find that you don't miss that extra space at all.

  8. #28
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    7,115
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That is cute and looks like a place to have fun.

    gads, I am thinking it was just two or so years ago that your husband couldn't see leaving your NJ house at all. Now he is going off on adventure to a new place. Isnt he the guy who is gregarious? I can see him being the life of the party with neighbors in that common space you all share. He will organize garden work days and harvest events and potluck get togethers and etc.

    I will bet that you find much more community there than you now have in your suburban place.
    OMG. On my way to my Master Gardeners class I told him to set up a relationship with the lawyer and inspector our realtor recommended. Just so happens the lawyer's last name its the same as my Scottish grandmother-in-law's. ALL HE HAD TO DO was email the realtor "talked to lawyer. send contract." But no. I get home to see that he sent a TOME of an email to the realtor, inspector and lawyer, inviting them all to our house, and for rounds of golf. He also quoted Bob Dylan:

    Oh to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Silhouetted by the Loch Champlain,
    circled by the circus sands.
    With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
    Let me forget about today until tomorrow

    And he also gave a bio of my kids, and our political leanings: me pro Bernie, him, Republican but Bernie's not bad.

    So, neighborhood organizing and parties? Yeah, that'll happen.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    3,408
    The house is super cute! So are you planning on living there summers only and then in town for the winter? WE live in 1400 sq ft with 1 car garage and shed. Now I could live in that house alone but with DH he would never downsize enough to fit in something that size.

  10. #30
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    7,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I will restrain myself from asking too many questions. It’s my nature....you understand. That’s a cute bungalow but you are going to be doing some serious downsizing. I have similar tastes but it would be located in the mountains as a hunting camp.

    What kind of taxes go with this.....any shared fees......water source.....sewage facilities....electric or gas heat.....basement.......fireplace?

    I know, I promised not to ask.

    No problem!

    No HOA, nor HOA fees. It's all in a "gentleman's agreement." Taxes: Less than half of what my NJ taxes are... $300/mo. No flood insurance needed. Water source: town. Sewage: Septic. Electric baseboard, but previous owners used the woodburning stove all year. Crawlspace. No fireplace, just the woodturning stove.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •