Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A Closing and a Closure and an Opening

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The house is super cute! So are you planning on living there summers only and then in town for the winter? WE live in 1400 sq ft with 1 car garage and shed. Now I could live in that house alone but with DH he would never downsize enough to fit in something that size.

I'm REALLY concerned about the clutter factor. It looks so cute in the pictures, but DH is already saying, "We need to bring this; we need to bring that." And I'm saying, "let's just see what we can get by on, and then add as necessary. When I went to Ocean Grove by myself for 6 weeks, I brought one normal wheelie and one plastic box with my office needs. I was fine. Of course, that rental house was completely furnished, but still. I've learned a couple of times in my life that I require very little on a day-to-day basis.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My office is also our guest bedroom although it is smaller then dH's office. Of course I am neat and he is a slob. Can you build a shed for his junk?

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm REALLY concerned about the clutter factor. It looks so cute in the pictures, but DH is already saying, "We need to bring this; we need to bring that." And I'm saying, "let's just see what we can get by on, and then add as necessary. When I went to Ocean Grove by myself for 6 weeks, I brought one normal wheelie and one plastic box with my office needs. I was fine. Of course, that rental house was completely furnished, but still. I've learned a couple of times in my life that I require very little on a day-to-day basis.
    Thank you Catherine. I’m always curious about other adventures. The one I went through was eye opening. I tossed, sold and gave away 2/3 of my stuff and still had a garage full that didn’t fit in my condo. So I rented a storage unit for three months while I tossed, sold and gave away some more. I am much more willing to part with things than DW. But we managed. It is a constant battle not to accumulate too much now.

The new house is darling! What a find!

From my experience, the more stuff you dispose of, the happier you'll be. And there really is no point in moving things, especially furniture, that you don't have room for. It's much easier to get rid of things in an urban area, than a rural area. My big bug-a-boo was all the boxes of paper stuff...

What a lovely house! Love the view.

Re: downsizing and clutter, my aunt just seriously downsized from a two bedroom condo to a one bedroom apartment in a retirement community. She had gotten rid of a lot of stuff and even after that she was shocked at how she underestimated how much stuff the new apartment could hold. She hasn't sold her condo yet, so she kept what she couldn't move in the condo and is slowly moving stuff out to Goodwill, etc. from there.

Thread Information