Closing: We closed on BILs house on Friday! It all went very smoothly. Only hanging thread is the need to get rid of my MIL's old, oops, I mean "mid-century modern" bedroom set. BIL is staying here through the holidays, but before New Year's will be going on a trip to his high school best friend's home in San Diego. He's always wanted to live in SoCal so he's going to investigate his options there.

Closure: I retired ALL my serious debt--$134,000 worth. I just have some regular credit card debt to pay off, and DH has a $3k medical bill. I'm excited but it hasn't hit me yet. But as you guys know, that was a LOT of very, very burdensome debt, and IT'S GONE!!!! I've kicked off the ankle ball and chain, but I think I'll be more excited when I unlock the handcuffs, too.

Opening: You know what they say about doors closing and windows opening. The precise moment we were closing on the house I got an email from my Vermont realtor that the owners are readying the Grand Isle house for sale and it will be back on the market in a week. I am really of two minds on this whole thing. On the one hand, it feels like all these little coincidences are adding up to a potentially wonderful opportunity. 30 minutes from the kids, a fabulous community-centric life in a beautiful town in Vermont. A simple life all ready to go in terms of permaculture and gardening possibilities.

But then I think, do I want to overlap two homes/two mortgages? Is that wise? I feel I CAN do it--the mortgage on this house is one third of what I was paying to the IRS. But do I WANT to do it? Is another house another chain? Or will it pave the way for me to release the house in NJ next year? So many questions.

My realtor invited us to her annual Christmas party. She lives on the island, too. I think I may go up and meet people and get a better feel of the vibe. Of course, going to a Christmas party might skew my perception of life there, but it also will help me read my gut.