Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Christmas machine

I too love Christmas, although I think it depends on where I live, how much I get into it. It was so warm in South Carolina that we made little fuss, and the only wonderful seasonable thing I remember is 4 guys from the Marine Corps Band giving a little impromptu brass concert down on the main street for beer money. That was lovely.

Now up here in Michigan, where it is so dark, I love the tree displays in the stores and I love looking at the trains and the sleds--a visual reminder of so much that was beautiful in childhood. I even don't mind the Christmas lights up early, and that used to bother me. I figure I have limited Christmases left and so wish to enjoy each one and savor what is beautiful in the greens and the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Iris Lilies, I'm sure your door arrangements will be awesome, can you post some pix when you're done? I gotta say I love Christmas - the lights, the decorations, the events (home tours! horse parades! driving around looking at light displays!) and all that stuff.

Well, these house tour decorations are not door decor, they are floral

Designs. Photo attached.

They are typical classic red and green fresh floral designs, nothing interesting. But here is the sweet thIng about them: these cost an average of $7.00 to make up. They would run $25 to $45 at a florist.

I have been snagging red containers at the thrift stores for two years when I see them under $2. Some of the prettiest were 50 cents.

I cut holly with berries and white pine in our public park. I found scads of red Nandina berries in New Mexico.

I bought 25 roses and 20 carnation for $51.00 and made 11 arrangements.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love your thrifty solution to holiday decor!
    I suppose I should dust off my fake poinsettias...but nah.

I love the arrangements, IL, even the ones that are upside-down!
    We have holly bushes, boxwood, and hemlock in the garden that I typically raid for holiday decor. There is plenty of pine to be raided in our beloved local woods and I made a mental note of a beautiful upright juniper with lots of berries on our nearby rail trail.

Well, new idea for me but then its unique and an attractive decor for the holiday season.

I visited my mother and decorated her house
    The gifts are wrapped and under the tree.
    i put out all the lights, but not all the decorations
    dh is making a giant grocery list
    one bed left to make
    one tablecloth to wash
    pies to bake
    fudge to make
    my son arrives tonight with wife and dogs
    my in laws arrive tomorrow night
    my daughter is coming with dog and husband Christmas day
    my in laws leave the morning of the 26th
    and that afternoon our oldest and dearest family friends arrive - and there will be 16 people and three dogs in our house
    We will eat, we will sing, and some of us will dance (because Lucy is 3)
    the 27th we’ll be back to my son’s family
    and we will rest.

Yppej
    Everything bought and wrapped. Will spend time tomorrow with extended family but Christmas may be only with my son depending on if/when the streets are plowed from Monday morning's snowstorm.

The one package I sent--in plenty of time--is lost somewhere in the Willamette Valley.

I got this email from a friend "It's a sign of the times when your grandson asks if his father can take him to a weed shop so he can get something for his grandmother for Christmas..."

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The one package I sent--in plenty of time--is lost somewhere in the Willamette Valley.

I got this email from a friend "It's a sign of the times when your grandson asks if his father can take him to a weed shop so he can get something for his grandmother for Christmas..."
    LOL!!! That truly is a sign of the times! When were high school kids forced to watch Reefer Madness? Boy, truly a sign of the times.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have modest Christmas Day plans with a sibling. Through the month I’ve managed to make personal contact with most everyone that is important to my life, either by a phone call, visit or meal in person to share good wishes and a handshake or hug. The large family gatherings are a thing of the past for me. Some I miss very much, Some comes as a little relief.

Thread Information