Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Thank You

Wedding Thank You

Are Thank You cards still sent? Knowing that many are made on a computer so perhaps not the old package set that came with Thank You notes. I do not know the way things are done today when it comes to that kind of stuff.

We gave the largest gift to a nephew and wife we ever gave to anyone. I was feeling that this was the last event and we only have a nephew and niece, she is next year married. SO we thought about if we did this the niece would get the same gift amount and we put it in the budget.

I know a gift is what you want to give and no response is needed as it came from your heart....but I honestly thought we would get a Huge thank you, wow thanks.....nothing 3 months later. Maybe it is just not done anymore?

I haven't been to a wedding for the longest time, but if thank-you notes are no longer done, I didn't get the memo.

Thank you cards are the way they have always been. We have given several wedding gifts in the last few years and the thank you notes have always come in, often right away, and the same little cards we used to send out. No change in that, either.

But sometimes the cards are late--technically, they have up to one year to send them out, according to Emily Post.

Did they cash the check, so you know that they actually got the gift?

Yppej
    I wonder if the one year came about when the superrich took a year-long honeymoon grand tour.

We also did not receive a thank you for the most recent wedding gift. give and let-go I suppose is the newest fad.

My kids both sent “homemade” cards with lovely notes. (Son in law is an artist, and dd2 is a graphic designer and made her brother’s as a gift)

If I am invited to a wedding I personally congratulate and thank the couple for inviting me to their celebrate their day. If I cannot attend, I send a card and a money gift. I do expect a written thank you as common courtesy, a personal thank you is accepted as well. Ironically and as an example, I never received a thank you, verbal or written, from my niece who was married 6 years ago and, not that the value of the gift determines the response, I gave her twice the $$$ I would give anyone else because of the relationship. Yes, let go as there is no other choice but whatever happened to common courtesies?

Williamsmith
    My wife and I are enforcers in that regard. If any of our kids does not take care of the sincere thank you for any gift.....they get reminded until it’s done. Those reminders can be pretty blunt. It’s just basic common courtesy you learn as soon as you can speak......”Thank you”.

Some day, they might have a baby shower? Pay back time.

First, do you know that they received the gift? Second, if you have not heard for a while, I would query about it being received and whether it was a suitable gift or would something else be better as you care looking for suggestions for the upcoming wedding and don't want to repeat the wrong gift.
    Who to ask often the challenge. I assume that this is the son of one of your siblings. How well do you get along with them? Would they tell you? Sometimes the parents of the bride and groom are horrified at the omission or neglect of thank you's. I would raise it as an issue.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

If a niece of nephew does not send a thank you gift, I never mention it to the parents, as that might be hurtful to them--I would be embarrassed if someone said that to me, and there is really nothing a parent can do with adult children--they are adults, after all, and responsible for their own actions.

I don't send more gifts--and that means you, Miss V. who never acknowledged the emerald graduation ring.

Thread Information