Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "So much wasted time."

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Thinking about this topic as I walked my dog, I realized that as long as I have loved and cherished with care and tenderness, my life cannot be a waste. My life is a gift to be shared thoughtfully. That I have done as best I can.
    Thank you, razz, that's great. And I love that you had these musings while dog-walking. Dog-walking's the best for musings. In fact, dog walking is most definitely NOT a waste of one's life.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I like to think that I have fought the good fight and will accept evidence of that as confirmation. The Red Cross sends me emails telling me which unnamed person my platelets and plasma helped. Second Harvest let me know how many meal equivalents I provided through donations and work. The smile on my granddaughter's face when she sees me tells me I'm a positive force in her life.

Is there time wasted in life? Sure. I think it's unavoidable while humans are the ones conducting the "business". But as long as I serve my priorities and I know the energy I'm giving it makes a difference, I don't see it as anywhere near a total waste. Holding grudges? Seeking validation by climbing on people's backs up the organizational ladder? Being untrue to yourself and either hiding your light under the bushel basket or spending your time being someone you're not? Those are the wastes of a life.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Cassidy’s words may refer to all of the time of his addiction. When you are living with addiction as your central focus, yeah, that IS a waste of life. It is so narrow and boring, feeding the addiction every moment of the day.

A well lived rich life is a balanced life, balanced with wide service to and interaction with community, nature, family.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Cassidy’s words may refer to all of the time of his addiction. When you are living with addiction as your central focus, yeah, that IS a waste of life. It is so narrow and boring, feeding the addiction every moment of the day.

A well lived rich life is a balanced life, balanced with wide service to and interaction with community, nature, family.
    Yes, IL, I'm sure that's it. It's such a tragedy to see people with incredible potential squander it in pursuit of addictions. But I hope that most of us are able minimize the "what might have been's." I have two big regrets that I'll take to my deathbed--maybe three, but otherwise, I'm overall satisfied so far.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It's such an interesting question you raise. I have been thinking about it since you posted, and I know that life review is an integral part of our age bracket, and developmentally the norm. I think more important than what Cassidy meant is the kind of reflection that you are doing about your own life.

We cannot know what he meant because we were not there and not a part of his life. It could be the addictions. It could be his daughter was sitting there and he was lamenting not being with her more. It could even mean that he was in the presence of the divine and he meant all that time that he was not cognizant that he was in the presence of the divine all along.

So it is impossible to know, but the fact that it has triggered this discussion in your own mind is significant. I guess I think that the nature of those two or three regrets is what you would need to explore, and figure outwhatyou want to do about them.

I know I have regrets with what I have done or not done in my life, the way I spend my time. On the other hand, I know that none of the time spent with loved ones has been wasted, and the "work" time that feels like such a waste to me has supported those loved ones--

but on our deathbeds, we are going into the eternal, where time does not exist, and so we probably will have a very different perspective on time itself, or at least that is what I hope and pray and try to have faith about.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Thinking about this topic as I walked my dog, I realized that as long as I have loved and cherished with care and tenderness, my life cannot be a waste. My life is a gift to be shared thoughtfully. That I have done as best I can.
    What happens when those you loved and cherished with care and tenderness no longer care about you?

Frugal, You did the best and loved and cherished them. You cannot blame yourself or feel you failed when they choose differently. Perhaps it will change, but if it doesn't you could do no more than your best.

Williamsmith
    I had these two quotes posted on my wall behind my desk at work. The first allowed me to trust that no outcome was wasted as long as I did my due diligence. The second appealed to my working class roots. I hope Mr. Cassidy was told how much his life mattered. I have never been able to judge a person as a waste and choose to believe every act has a purpose beyond our ability to comprehend totally due to our perspective. I also see addiction as disease or imperfection at its foundation and am unable to assign any guilt to the addicted. And I believe strongly in the preordained destiny of a person. Cassidy’s statement is then a misunderstanding of his life’s work and not a comment on any reality. And I believe now that he has a clear understanding of his life’s work and that his soul is smiling at the thought of it. So what he uttered simply has no significance whatsoever.

“Make the most of your self, for that is all there is of you.” Emerson.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
    Calvin Coolidge

Thread Information