Thread: Squeezing in some healthy food

Squeezing in some healthy food

Between holidays! I just ate everything in site for a couple days, had way too much sugar, but worked on a balance since my mom brought goodies and i really wanted to eat them. My parents went off to my sisters yesterday and i went to sprouts and bought veggies. Yesterday i did a bowl with farro, sauteed kale and carrots and a fried egg on top. This morning scrambled 'fancy eggs' (eggs with lots of vegetables mixed in). I may however keep putting some regular sugar in my tea once a day instead of stevia. I do know eating rich and sweet food for the next month is gonna make me sick

I have been on the road now for 4 days and the food sucks. Other than the Indian thanksgiving day food, it is bad. My Go To road food when in need of greens is to find a nice grocery store and eat at their salad bar. well, news flash: there are no “nice” grocery stores around here. At least there are Subway sandwich shops all over.

I would not mind the carbs and fats of a Mexican food dinner IF it was high quality, but in the part of town where we are, it is just chain restaurants everywhere. Later we will get out on the other side of town and I expect to find decent food.

Yesterday was a greens filled day. Bowls of veggies and salsa warmed in the microwave with leftover chicken and then dinner was salad with more leftover mushroom tart. Thankfully, the leftovers from TD are gone and we can go back to simpler food and more greens.

Iris Lilies, it was really hard traveling especially over the south. I think we ended up with fried chicken for at least 4 meals. We were eating with a traveling group and there was not much choice in those little town Southern cafeteria type places.

Some of the midwest (WI) was hard travel for me food wise, but it was mostly restaurants (and they were not good). However, anywhere big enough to have a supermarket you can probably get something not too horrible if you have a kitchenette to warm something. Part of it is we just don't know how to eat healthy somewhere new, although small towns are probably poorly supplied and I am spoiled on fresh produce.
    Trees don't grow on money

I am growing sprouts (will be harvesting fenugreek sprouts tonight to stir-fry with finely chopped cabbage). So, I would hold that it does not matter how small the town is, as long as there is a wok with a stovetop under it. Or a cast iron dutch oven with three legs for wood fire in the open.

That will be a side for some ham, and some leftover yams and nuts. I am thinking about stewing up some bulgur as a second side.

Small towns in WI usually have a local cafe that has good food. That has been my experience.

Thread Information