Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tragedy beyond belief - rape of Rohingya women

I think what you're seeing is a feeling of helplessness, because rape, genocide, flight from war and famine, are happening in multiple locations--along, of course, with natural disasters that we seem too disorganized to address. It leads to a kind of compassion paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I am not hearing concern for the magnitude of this crisis especially for the women and girls but partisan defensiveness.
    Well, when you cut and paste from an article which emphasizes the fact that the US has stopped contributing to the fund and suggesting that this prevents the women and girls from getting the help they need, it sort of seems as if it started in a partisan manner.

But since allegations of rape and sexual assault is to be tolerated in US political leadership, why am I surprised? Silly me to expect horrific sexual abuse to be publicly condemned elsewhere.
    And continues, apparently.

Trudeau also outlined further steps he would like the Myanmar government and military to take, calling on the Myanmar security forces to end the violence and bring the perpetrators to justice through independent and impartial investigations.

Now that's something I think we can all support, solving the problems rather than treating the symptoms.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    Along with others I would like to see Aung San Suu Kyi's Nobel Peace Prize revoked.

To what degree should the US function as the world's policeman/EMT/abortionist? To what degree can it do those things with the resources available to it? By what right can other nations demand the US take action in any given area? We seem likely to shift to a more multi-polar world with a less dominant US. It will be interesting to see how some of the rising regional powers act.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    To what degree should the US function as the world's policeman/EMT/abortionist? To what degree can it do those things with the resources available to it? By what right can other nations demand the US take action in any given area? We seem likely to shift to a more multi-polar world with a less dominant US. It will be interesting to see how some of the rising regional powers act.
    These are all good questions, Ldahl. I think that most of it is related to the leadership role rather than the world's policeman/EMT/abortionist.

It isn't so much the $$$ amount except that I believe it was in the US that insurance established that a $$ amount to reimburse for the claim of a loss of an eye or a limb as a means of compensation in court. This is followed around the world, is it not?

Aid has a cost which is established and paid by countries around the world with admittedly the US paying very large portion but a standard is set for others to follow. Removing the standard has an enormous societal cost. Will Putin do it? Merkel tried very hard to set a standard for refugees. Much of the world is still ruled along notions of inequality along social or economic roles, similar to Aristotle’s view that ‘some are free men, and others slaves by nature.’

Yet today’s democracies reflect the Christian era’s ideals of individual conscience, equality before God, mutual respect and responsibility, and a love that includes one’s enemies. The US as a republic exists as an example to the world based on these ideals. Many people paid an enormous price for the US to be the country it is over a number of centuries to develop those ideals. What kind of a country would the US be based on rule by family dynasty, clan, tribe, patriarchs, clerics, or monarchs. Or, in the case of China, dictatorial rule by the Communist party?

By denying the needs of girls and women who are being specifically and viciously targeted by the governing military and police with support from the nationalist Buddhist monks, what world standard is being set? By specifying that aid for targeted girls and women is denied, are those ideals underlying a democracy being upheld? Canada is trying but does not have the political clout of the US.

I agree that compassion fatigue sets in. I still have faith that moral leadership has power. Maybe the Pope can provide that.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

there is a device in Africa which the woman can insert with quills pointed in the direction of any unwanted penis..........true, look it up. Horrible area for women and children.

Thread Information