Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: “Capitals has a problem - is free money the answer?”

I remember a bumper sticker that said, "If men got pregnant, Abortion would be a sacrament!" It's disgusting that we are still fighting this battle.

I remember a bumper sticker that said, "If men got pregnant, Abortion would be a sacrament!"
    as would welfare, the original AFDC welfare. I mean although some men also end up in that difficult role, it almost takes a woman to imagine what it would be like to support a kid alone given the instability of jobs etc.. No it's never ideal (and abortion is one choice as well) but life happens.

The problem may be that U.S. policy is far too heavily controlled by fundamentalist (maybe evangelical) Christians, far more of the population than they actually represent. And it's almost like the U.S. government was controlled by the Amish (no technology for you) or the Christian Scientists (no medicine) and suddenly everyone else had to live by those rules. I have no problem with them living by their rules of course, but it would be ridiculous to apply it broadly and it really is that ridiculous.
    Trees don't grow on money

According to a PEW poll, men and women seem similar on the abortion issue?

http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/p...n-on-abortion/

It's interesting that so many self-avowed religious believers are opposed to abortion, assuming that one of the tenets of most faiths is the existence of an immortal soul. So if the fetus should die in utero for whatever reason, wouldn't it just wait for another opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It's interesting that so many self-avowed religious believers are opposed to abortion, assuming that one of the tenets of most faiths is the existence of an immortal soul. So if the fetus should die in utero for whatever reason, wouldn't it just wait for another opportunity?
    I don’t know of many faiths that offer a Universal Basic Incarnation.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I don’t know of many faiths that offer a Universal Basic Incarnation.
    lol, LDAHL.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Would the Universal Basic Incarnation be the no-frills version?
    You'd think dogma would cover these things...

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Would the Universal Basic Incarnation be the no-frills version?
    You'd think dogma would cover these things...
    I could certainly see the moral convenience of assuming that someone killed six months before being born could simply catch the next bus. You might even extend that logic to killing someone six months after being born. Or perhaps souls driving around in faulty vehicles might be eligible for a cosmic cash for clunkers program.

"Cash for clunkers" Ha! I'm not nuts about my "faulty vehicle," but I guess you could consider it karma. Next life, I'd like a Tesla, or maybe a Subaru.

Killing a six-month old is murder, as it is capable of living outside a woman's body. Pretty elementary, I would think. (I'm not a Singer acolyte.) But you make a case for free, universal, birth control.

Would that logic apply to killing someone incapable of living outside the ICU? For that matter, even an air-breathing infant is still awfully dependent. I don't think any of this stuff regarding who can and can't be dehumanized is reducible to "elementary".

Thread Information