Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Animal smells

Umm...eek...I never thought about that. It was a total surprise to me when she showed up today.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    If she's coming into your workplace already, just imagine what would happen if, for example you ever happen to be late on the rent. Is she going to be coming into your building and announcing this to anyone within earshot? Would you really want all your co-workers knowing this? RUN!

Well, a dog's poop and so with the cat 's smell is really terrible. We have one dog here and so I know. By the way, I usually clean it with vinegar and water to eliminate bad odor.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    Spouse and I went to look at a rental house the other day. The tenants are in the midst of moving out and quite a lot of their possessions are still in the house, including clothing, area rugs, and various and sundry.

One of the first things we noticed when we entered was an animal smell. I know the tenant has a dog, and during the Grand Tour, the landlord mentioned that he has or has had cats. The landlord also commented that the place "smelled of dog." It was not pleasant.

I'm wondering: will this smell go when Mr. Tenant takes his fabric goods out of the home? I know they're moving, but the place was in a real tip, and I'm wondering if there were "accidents" and cats peed on the floor or something. In which case, I have no idea how the landlord would get that smell out of hardwood floors.

This concerns me. Years ago, we rented a place (but never moved into it) that smelled overwhelmingly of dog. We bought a couple of those "bombs" that you set off and leave the house for a day. It did not make a durned bit of difference.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? A permanent smell like this would be a deal-breaker for both spouse and me. Thanks!
    was it a "dog smell" or a "pee smell?" If it is dog then his moving should get rid of most of it. If not and it is a pee smell down in the hardwood, it will have to be sealed.

Oil-based Kilz does a good job of this. Might take a couple coats, are you comfortable with painted wood floors? Or would you have to cover them?

Tenngal, I'm fine with painted wood floors but I wouldn't want to paint over the areas that the landlady had refinished just a couple years ago (at least that's how she put it).

I definitely smelled dog. Spouse's main sense was of male cat pee. We both have very different olfactory systems.

Either way, it wasn't pleasant and definitely has got to go.

If the cat smell is bad now, wait until it is hot and humid oitsoors. Will be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    If the cat smell is bad now, wait until it is hot and humid oitsoors. Will be worse.
    Do yourself a favor, and tell her you do not want the apartment. Find something else.

I just wanted to update you on this situation. Spouse and I discussed the situation, and emailed our friend. The house isn't going to be ready for 3 months, she is now saying. She says she tried to clean the floors before we came to see the place, and apologized for the smell. That isn't the only red flag with this place. Apparently her husband would very much like to sell it, and they've never had a lease. I'm in a situation similar to that right now. I could be wrong, but aren't leases supposed to protect both the landlord and the tenant? And I don't feel like moving in only to be told the place is going on the market.

I doubt we will rent it. All of the above, coupled with the busy location, make it look less attractive than I initially thought. I am disappointed, though, because I felt the price was reasonable, they allow pets, and the style of home is one of my "dream home" types.

Thanks, all, for pitching in with your advice.

Thread Information