Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1-800-GOT JUNK?

We used them once to clean out the garage at the rental property. It cost under three hundred dollars, but they pretty well filled a short stake truck. Some of the stuff was pure landfill; some was easily recyclable but bulky; some was considered hazardous (lead batteries, etc.) and would cost them $ to dispose of (they pass that cost along so that's why sometimes the price quote is nebulous).

In the space of 2-3 hours, the stuff was gone. If we'd tried to get rid of it ourselves, we would have had to rent a truck (unlikely the size of a commercial stake truck), move everything, and pay to dispose of it. So, from our perspective, it was well worth it. $50 is a steal, but, as was suggested, make sure you know exactly what will be charged for. It sounds like a come-on price though it may be an off-season time for them and they just want to keep people busy at some price.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Boy, do I feel like a fool.

Just talked to them on the phone. It's $25 or $50 OFF the truckloads, NOT the trucks themselves. The lady said she'd send me an email with the various price points. I found the conversation rather confusing as she kept talking about "if you fill it 1/8 full, it's this price". The minimum charge is $118.

It's a 400 cubic foot truck. How big is that? She said "dump truck" but that may mean different things to different people.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    Boy, do I feel like a fool.

Just talked to them on the phone. It's $25 or $50 OFF the truckloads, NOT the trucks themselves. The lady said she'd send me an email with the various price points. I found the conversation rather confusing as she kept talking about "if you fill it 1/8 full, it's this price". The minimum charge is $118.

It's a 400 cubic foot truck. How big is that? She said "dump truck" but that may mean different things to different people.
    Would not that be about 4 feet by 10 feet by 10 feet tall, so like a 4 by 10 room?

Tybee, that would make sense. Thanks!

Holy crap! I got the price list and I'm flabbergasted.

There's got to be a cheaper person around who will do it. The cheapskate in me is screaming...

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    There's got to be a cheaper person around who will do it.
    Most likely there is. Check craigslist or the "bingo board" at your local market/home-improvement store or even just ask your friends if they know someone with a pickup truck or van who might want to make a few bucks carting stuff to where it needs to go.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Landfill charges and practices in your area will help determine costs of this kind of thing.

I'll definitely look on Craigslist. I'm also on a couple of local groups on Facebook and will ask on there.

There are some county programs that will accept certain items at certain times as well.

And I'm looking into the local dumping/landfill fees.

Thread Information