Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Diet and exercise

The exercise bike sounds like a great option)

Yppej
    With the colder weather I am struggling. It's like my body wants to gain to insulate itself.

I have been walking some despite the temperatures.

Additionally I am working towards a less processed diet. I will next try to give up hommus and replace it with garbanzo beans. I have trouble eating hommus in any sort of moderation.

Always an enabler, I present to you a recipe for roasted cauliflower hummus:
    http://thesimplekitchen.net/roasted-...garlic-hummus/

I found it in my recipe file, but I haven't tried it yet. Report back.

Yppej
    I don't own either a food processor or a Vitamix, but maybe someone else will report.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I don't own either a food processor or a Vitamix, but maybe someone else will report.
    I own both, but the food processor never gets used. You could probably make it in any blender--or just cook it to death and use a masher. At any rate, the cauliflower is a nice alternative to garbanzos. I'll get around to it one of these days.

Still not exercising, but eating better. Also less, in part because meals and snacks are getting squeezed by other things, so lots of times I can’t eat even when I am hungry.

I've gone from swimming a mile in the pool twice a week to 2000 yards (more than a mile) 3 times a week. It's only 10 more lengths than I had been doing - 80 total now. I'm going to be in much better shape when dive season starts in early April.

Yppej
    Will your body tell you when you've lost enough, or do you have to consciously increase your calorie intake to go from loss mode to maintenance mode?

Ok, gotta get serious. Went to the doc Monday and I was up ten lbs from a year and a half age. I didn't realize I had the weight creep that badly. So, already reinforced the better eating and exercise that I know can get me there.

I wish I could swim. My current gym doesn't have a pool, and the Y costs about $65 a month. Just not in the budget right now.

Today was so nice I walked the dogs two miles and then came home and rode the bicycle for half an hour. Goals!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Will your body tell you when you've lost enough, or do you have to consciously increase your calorie intake to go from loss mode to maintenance mode?
    You lose weight when you burn more calories than you take in. So, in moving to maintenance, your choices are either to increase caloric intake to match calories expended or to decrease activity to match caloric intake.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information