Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Lauer is out now too.........

And now it looks like a really sad day in Lake Pants B-Gone, Garrison Keillor says he has been fired by Minnesota Public Radio for "inappropriate behavior".

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...lic-radio-says
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Being civilized is just too hard for some.

There's more than a whiff of hysteria about all this. First, it seems to me there's been a loss of any sense of proportion. There are several orders of magnitude difference between what Al Franken did and what Roy Moore is (very credibly) accused of doing. Second, I always get uncomfortable when the language used to describe events starts to get so murky you feel like you don't really know what the hell actually happened. The term "sexual assault" has become so watered down as to be meaningless. It's now used to refer to anything forcible rape to some drunk guy grabbing a woman's butt in a bar. Neither is permissible behavior, but one is a very serious crime, while the other is obnoxious behavior whose seriousness may be somewhat mitigated by context.

Obviously, nobody -- not just women -- should be subject to unwillingly having hands laid on them. The aforementioned butt-grabbing is a crime, and it should be. But it's not rape. Real sexual assault is a serious crime that should be investigated by police and prosecuted in a court of law. Taking shortcuts around due process seldom ends well in the long run.

Good post oldhat!

Another odd thought of mine - Males chasing multiple females has been going on for eons since we are wired biologically to further our species. Problem is that old behavior is no longer appropriate in a modern "thinking" culture so females are putting their foot down and saying "enough." Perhaps it will bring on an evolutionary change where the thinking brain really does supersede the biological urge that some seem so unable to control. And now, Garrison Keilor? Huh?

Pinkytoe, I've been wanting to bring that topic up for awhile. Being "civilized" means we try to distance ourselves as much as possible from our animalistic wiring. We do all sorts of things, make all sorts of rules to NOT have what seems to me to be hard-wired instinctual tendencies. I'm not sure what it all means, in terms of evolution though. I'm sure that this male behavior goes on constantly around the world all the time. But the U.S. seems to be trying to win the most civilized award. I don't know what the answer is.
    I think we cause all sorts of mental disorders when we try so very hard to overcome instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post

...What I wonder about is, have people who worked closely with Charlie Rose and Matt Lauer (women), .....have they ever suspected anything like this?
    I did see part of the statement by Savannah Guthie and she seemed totally shocked, as did Gayle King and Nora O'Donnell regarding Charlie Rose. Maybe these men only picked on women lower down in the food chain?....
    Lauer was a known womanizer.

One of our local radio guys postulated last week that Lauer would be amoung those to fall.

Katie Couric said in an old interview that he was annoying for always having his hand on her ass.

There has been a sea change. I would have to look back at the timeline of events... Maybe several organizations decided around the same time that they had no more toleration for "improprieties", and they would impose harsh sanctions. And at the same time more women were saying "enough!", and "wait a minute, I was victimized... when, and by whom".

Allegations of abuse of children by priests in the USA go back to 1950, or perhaps earlier. In 1985 the case of Gilbert Gauthier, a priest in Louisiana, resulted in a conviction on 11 counts and a sentence of 10 years in prison.

In September 1991 the Tailhook scandal occurred in a Las Vegas hotel, which was the venue for a Navy and Marine Corps symposium attended by 4,000 active, reserve and retired personnel. 83 women and 7 men reported that they had been victims of sexual assault and harassment. The Department of the Navy investigated, and their initial finding was that no senior officers bore responsibility for what had happened. Assistant Secretary of the Navy Barbara S. Pope went to Secretary of the Navy Henry L. Garrett III and advised him she would resign if the Department of the Navy did not do another report. That second report assigned some responsibility to flag officers, among others. Ultimately sanctions ended or damaged the careers of 14 admirals and almost 300 naval aviators.

In 1992 Massachusetts priest James Porter was found guilty of abusing more than 24 boys and girls, and he was sentenced to 18-20 years. Also in 1992 the US Conference of Catholic Bishops acknowledged that some bishops had attempted to cover up abuse.

In March of 2003 Air Force Secretary James G. Roche testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee about sexual assault reports at the US Air Force Academy. He said, "We are learning enough to realize that change must occur... Change in the climate, change in how we manage."

In 2007 the San Diego Diocese was facing 150 lawsuits alleging sexual abuse by 60 priests, and filed for bankruptcy. In the same year the Archdiocese of Los Angeles agreed to pay $660 million to settle abuse claims brought by 500 people.
    Last edited by dado potato; 11-30-17 at 1:19am.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    And now it looks like a really sad day in Lake Pants B-Gone, Garrison Keillor says he has been fired by Minnesota Public Radio for "inappropriate behavior".

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...lic-radio-says
    LOL........"Lake pants-B-Gone".........

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post

Correspondingly, while the accusations against Al Franken are disappointing (at best), is forcing his resignation from the Senate good for national action on women's issues given Franken's positive legislative track record on those issues?

That was the arguement that kept feminists from castigating the Groper in Chief, Bill Clinton. He is a lecherous beast but he helps so many women through his finessing of the political process, so they told each other.

In my book Al Franken’s acts as revealed so far should NOt cause him to lose his Senate seat. While I wish that all of the men and women in the Senate were morally upright and class acts, that will not always be the case because we are talking about humans.

I think the more important point is that people in Minnesota elected him, and people outside of Minnesota should be bloody careful abou tossing out someone's elected official. Let the Northerners sort it out in the next election which I am quite sure he will win, it being three years from now and all will be forgotten.

Thread Information