Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Truth or starting a conversation more imoortant

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Iris, another question since you are the only one who has spoken in defense . My question is how this behavior has any possible benefits I am missing. We can all argue about whether immigration is good or bad. Personally, I think we are all to blame for the faults of our immigration system. We have all stood by and allowed our elected officials to put band aids on here and there but not deal with and establish a clear immigration policy. Our leaders have knowingly allowed dreamers and others to stay here. And there are so many myths involving immigration and refugees that are imbedded in peoples minds. Like the vetting. There are clear guidelines established.

So back to the tweets, how do they benefit the American people?
    how do they benefit the presidency?
    re: immigration

Those clear guidelines could be improved, anything can be improved. Worth additional resources? Maybe not. But I did not then (early in this year) and do not now oppose stopping immigration while those vetting standards are reviewed. That seems like common sense to me. New administration, new rules. Even if the “new” rules end up being simple tweaks of the old, it is ok by me.

Re: tweets

Anyway, to your original question, what are “possible benefits” of Trump tweeting? His actions are team building. As I stated before he is speaking to his “base” (I hate that word for some reason.) You and other dissenters are not on his team. You are either for him or against him, and those who were for him propelled him into the White House. You are not very important to this President. Its ok, I was of no significance to tha last President and my Congressman and local legislative representative are positively against anything I find important. They are useless.

In his St. Louis speech yesterday President Trump did a good job in pulling his supporters into the team mindset. DH, A Trumpster all the way, mentioned how President Trump “didn't use ‘I’ like Obama did all the time.” Whether true or not, that is DH’s impression of the Ex Prez and we have been tossing about impressions a lot in this thread.

Interesting article by Ezra Klein today in Vox arguing that Americans are much too fearful of using impeachment as a tool to remove someone manifestly unfit for the presidency from office. He makes a number of excellent points. Not the least of these is that when a company hires someone who proves to be unsuited to the job, it can fire him. It seems absurd that you can fire an incompetent CEO with relative ease, but not the most powerful (and potentially destructive) man in the world. The standard of the Constitution of high crimes and misdemeanors isn't a legal one. Klein isn't the first to argue that even if the founders didn't see impeachment as a first resort, nor did they see it as a last one.

The obvious counterargument is that impeachment used in this way could become a political football, but that fear may be unfounded. It takes a two-third vote in the Senate to convict, and that's always going to be a heavy lift.

Of course, I'm not optimistic that Republicans in Congress are going to have a sudden attack of integrity and remove Trump. And so long as he remains in office, we are either going to be very lucky or very, very sorry.

Seems we're revisiting old "truths". The birther thing has been put back on the table. But maybe we need another conversation about that.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    Seems we're revisiting old "truths". The birther thing has been put back on the table. But maybe we need another conversation about that.
    That's a simple one, I think it only existed because of young Barack Obama's getting a discounted education as a foreign national, then having his records sealed from public scrutiny. It's much the same thing as Elizabeth Warren using a questionable American Indian heritage to advance her career.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That's a simple one, I think it only existed because of young Barack Obama's getting a discounted education as a foreign national, then having his records sealed from public scrutiny. It's much the same thing as Elizabeth Warren using a questionable American Indian heritage to advance her career.
    I remember endless discussion of his birth certificate being faked. Which is continuing:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/28/politi...nyt/index.html

I never heard about the student aid thing until now, but Snopes has:

https://www.snopes.com/politics/obam...occidental.asp

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    I remember endless discussion of his birth certificate being faked. Which is continuing:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/28/politi...nyt/index.html

I never heard about the student aid thing until now, but Snopes has:

https://www.snopes.com/politics/obam...occidental.asp
    Those Fox News lies--the real fake news--have an exceedingly long shelf life, it seems.

Andy Andrews How to Kill 11 Million People- lie, lie, lie and continue to lie until people believe you....

Just as antisemitism was (is) a thing, so too is antimuslimism. 45 is clearly the latter. The president's tweets will very likely result in an increase of violence against muslims. Woohoo! :-/

But it will be interesting/unpleasant to see how the sad dude in chief tries to deflect his responsibility if/when we have another Benghazi. I suppose his defenders will bleat "It wasn't his fault! Those people are monsters!" And the world will be even less civil than it was before. Winning!

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/t...-say-heres-how

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Those Fox News lies--the real fake news--have an exceedingly long shelf life, it seems.
    Sadly true. Today half the fox webpage was about Matt Lauer, most of the other half about how evil Hillary is.
    Anyone who is paying attention wants to know about what exactly is in the tax reform bill. Also, an interest in North Korea who incidentally is very close to taking out the US with nuclear strikes. And the Muslim tweet thing, not a mention. Fake news must have made them all up.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    that excuses Trumps behavior and lies. Got it.

Thread Information