Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: December Frugals

It's been a pretty warm and dry winter so I've been able to ride my bike or walk to do errands; saves me gas money (and also my sanity!)

I had an unusual prescription to fill and it was going to cost me $180, but I found a place online that would take my insurance and I'm getting it with no co-pay - free to me.

I've spent a bit more than usual on Xmas, but it's on mostly needed items (socks, coats, long underwear) and with the holiday deals we probably saved money overall.

We get snow tires on only one of our cars, so that saves a bit.
    I was going through tires like crazy on my Scion xB and finally got Michelin's - 80,000 miles they say. Time will tell.

Trying to decide on charitable donations right now. We may wait until January, then give again next December so our bunched donations can be itemized. Not sure though, I feel very greedy not donating because of taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post

We get snow tires on only one of our cars, so that saves a bit.
    I was going through tires like crazy on my Scion xB and finally got Michelin's - 80,000 miles they say. Time will tell.
    I've lived in snow country my entire driving life. Never have I/we purchased snow tires or chains for either a rear wheel or front wheel drive vehicle. Quality all purpose tires have always worked just fine and not once have I been in a ditch or caused an accident.

Replaced patio door from Lowes. They installed and took away door. Bought least expensive door, on sale. Then when room was stripped, repainted ourselves yesterday using what we had around the house, needed only to buy spackle. Cost of paint job, 4 dollars. Of course we did spend another 30 dollars going out to eat to celebrate how good the room looked!

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I've lived in snow country my entire driving life. Never have I/we purchased snow tires or chains for either a rear wheel or front wheel drive vehicle. Quality all purpose tires have always worked just fine and not once have I been in a ditch or caused an accident.
    +1. I ended up in a ditch once as a snow squall blew up and I couldn't see to steer, but it was not the fault of the tires.

I disagree about the snow tires. I used to have a rwd Volvo and I could not even get the car up my driveway without snow tires.
    Am a huge believer in dedicated snow tires, but then I read Tire Rack reviews for entertainment, so maybe I am just a tire geek.

I ended up in a ditch in upstate NY and a few times in Wisconsin. Never was going fast but I am guessing it was snow over ice. Here they won’t let you go up the mountain without snow tires or chains. I don’t want to go when it’s that bad anyway.

I get an insurance discount for having snow tires so it must be worthwhile $$ for an insurance company to give deductions from a premium charge.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Here they won’t let you go up the mountain without snow tires or chains. I don’t want to go when it’s that bad anyway.
    We have the same rules here.

A few cars go over the cliff on the Siskiyou Pass (OR/CA) every year. Not for the faint of heart!

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I get an insurance discount for having snow tires so it must be worthwhile $$ for an insurance company to give deductions from a premium charge.
    Sounds like collusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I ended up in a ditch in upstate NY and a few times in Wisconsin. Never was going fast but I am guessing it was snow over ice. Here they won’t let you go up the mountain without snow tires or chains. I don’t want to go when it’s that bad anyway.
    Donner Pass? Yes. that I understand. I remember Dad having to stop and get us chained up when we went back and forth to Bakersfield in the winter.

Thread Information