Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: December Frugals

Yppej

December Frugals

I finished November under budget but December will be a challenge. Among other things I should get new tires and am trying to get estimates. Place #1 would not honor the discount they supposedly offer to employees of my company and if they had would still have been expensive plus they wanted me to prepay days before the appointment! Place #2 did not respond to my website inquiry yesterday. I did a website inquiry with place #3 this evening.

Yppej: Did you try Costco? We got tires there and were pleased.

Yppej
    No, there is not one near me.

Now that it is nearing December, I am growing 2 batches of sprouts per week. This week was clover (eating in salad tonight) and fenugreek (which I stir-fried with cabbage a couple days ago).

Fenugreek can be sprouted? Tell me more!

Meezer Mom,

My fenugreek seed is imported from India. I bought a 2.5 lb package through Amazon. Vendor was FoodtoLive.com

I think any sprouting equipment that handles large seeds (such as mung beans) would handle fenugreek.

As you may be aware, fenugreek seed is bitter and has a flavor/aroma, which is similar to maple syrup. I enjoy the sprouts as a bitter green in salad (blended with a mix of lettuce greens that are milder, such as iceberg or romaine). A simple dressing for a bitter-sweet salad could be whisked together from 2 parts olive or walnut oil : 2 parts honey or agave nectar : 1 part lemon juice or sherry vinegar ... and salt to taste.

Stir-frying reduces, but does not eliminate bitterness of fenugreek sprouts. The cabbage goes into the hot wok first for about 3 minutes, seasoned with cumin. Then I add fenugreek sprouts and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Finally I clear the center of the bottom of the wok, and pour in a tablespoon of water, and put a cover on to make steam in the wok. I listen, and when the bubbling and hissing stops, I turn off the heat and sprinkle the veggies with lemon juice.

I have not tried this, but I believe fenugreek sprouts can be chopped along with scallions and added to skillet-fried potatoes.

My sister took me on a thrifting adventure yesterday. I spent a total of $6.00 on a sweater and a book. Good deals and fun time with my sister, but I need to pull her into more recreational activities that don't involve shopping.

December is never frugal. Property Taxes, charitable donations, making 60+ pounds of fudge for gifts....

Fa La La La La

Yppej
    Tire place #3 said I had to call the store. I went in person and got a good price, but they didn't have new year of manufacture tires in stock, and I have seen on the news that tires sitting around in a warehouse for years don't wear well. They are getting newer tires from another of their locations and I will go back next Saturday. In the meantime I went to tire store #2 but their prices were higher. ETA: maybe that is why they never responded with a quote.

In addition I am getting a rim to mount the best existing tire on since the car did not come with even a donut spare tire, just an inflation kit. I will not buy a Hyundai again. There are too many tire issues. One of the original tires blew out with only a few hundred miles on the car, nothing found in the tire, at 30K I replaced all the tires at a dealership with supposed 50K tires and after 25K miles they need to be replaced again.

Yppej, maybe try Sam's Club for tires? I got mine there and the savings paid for both a membership and an additional hundred fifty dollars or so. I bought snow tires.

I also use Tire Rack a lot; they are fantastic and will send the tires to your mechanic to mount them. Price is excellent. Have bought maybe 4 sets of tires through them, even one as a gift for my son.

Thread Information