Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: December Frugals

Yppej
    Thank you but I checked and there is no Sam's Club in my area either, but I am satisfied with the price at store #3. It is comparable to what I paid a year and a half ago and less than either store 1 or store 2. I am a big believer in comparison shopping and have in my head from doing purchasing decades ago to always get at least 3 estimates though sometimes I can't, like with small home improvement projects contractors don't want to be bothered with.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I will not buy a Hyundai again. There are too many tire issues.
    While there certainly may be some design flaw or problem with your Hyundai that's causing these problems, neither issue you've encountered is exclusive to Hyundai.

Lots of cars these days lack even the doughnut spare because it's a fair amount of weight to carry around for the few times any owner needs to use it -- kind of like carrying an umbrella on your person every time you go out on the possibility that it might rain.

And many tires are notorious for not returning the promised mileage. That can be due to driving habits, maintenance, the kinds of roads on which they're driven, and (on replacement tires) unsuitability of the tires for their application (I can buy tires for my VW that don't have the load capacity or the speed rating the car requires; they're legal to sell and install and many folks don't even know to check that), etc.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    The OEM tires from what I have read are likely to blow out because they are not the proper size, but selected to improve gas mileage rather than for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The OEM tires from what I have read are likely to blow out because they are not the proper size, but selected to improve gas mileage rather than for safety.
    Well, they do have to be able to carry the loads the manufacturer expects the car to carry at a maximum. But you are right that fuel economy is the goal, far more than ultimate safety or even comfort.

For what it's worth, I thought the (Korean-made) Nexen tires on DW's Kia (OEMs) were terrible tires. I was glad to see them wear enough to justify replacing them (with Generals). We also run winter tires, which also seemed superior to the Nexens. Yeesh.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yuck, tires!! I have to pay for mine this week. Discount Tires - $670 with all the fees and taxes. Glad I only have one car...

Yppej
    Washed something I had thought was dry clean only and it came out fine.

Noticed some water damage under the kitchen sink and found its source is the lip where the countertop meets the sink. I no longer will stack dishes there soaking pre-wash so no further damage occurs when they get jostled. Nothing appears in danger of collapse, so I am still not going to do a kitchen renovation.

A very tiny mouse made it into the house despite our mouseproofing efforts. At some point I may get a black light to pinpoint the mouse urine trails but for now will just continue to trap. I am loathe to spend money because I would eventually like to retire.

Yppey, I'm on my second Hyundai and have never had tire issues. I've only ever had real tire issues with Uniroyals. I've driven for over over 45 years now, probably close to a million miles (I've had 7 cars, 6 bought new, all but one over 100K when replaced, and three with over 200K...). I use Tire Discounters. There's not a lot of choice in this area. I've never tried Sam's, maybe this winter I'll do that - there's one between home and work, and DB buys us a membership every year for Christmas. I think I'm going to need a set before the weather gets nasty... DH says I'm hard on tires. I don't know what he's talking about.

In frugal world, my 6 year old Keens were losing their soles. A generous application of ShoeGoo has solved that problem, at least for now. I really hate buying shoes.

This week's sprouts are Daikon radish and dry green peas (whole, not split!)

Yppej
    I will be cancelling HBO by the end of the year. The new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm drew me in but just finished, and DS will have semester break at the end of December to catch up on all his movies.

Williamsmith
    Tire warranties for me have been virtually worthless. The small print requires frequent rotation, air pressure maintenance and when you apply for warranty coverage the mileage you got is deducted from the warranted mileage and pro rated. So by the time you get a tire rep, provide all the documentation for appropriate service and get a response.....it’s not worth your time. Very similar to roof warranties. Worthless.

It is time for a new budget analysis. I have lived in my condo approaching three years and have seen two HOA fee raises amounting to a 15% hike from my move in rate. The sewer authority is raising its rate, water to follow, the county is mulling over a reassessment of property values. I think I need to get serious about being frugal.

DW doesn’t know it yet but I have clandestine planning going on for a lakefront tiny house. Can I downsize again? Hmmm.

Thread Information