Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: December Frugals

Make sure to clue in DW, as that kind of move is definitely something you both need to agree on.

Williamsmith
    She has veto power over every scheme I come up with and I don’t trouble her with them all, at her request. I don’t have any immediate plans to change venues. I love where I am living. I just see the reality of someday it being too financially challenging to stay here and I have sent out a scout to look for happy hunting grounds. My wife has developed shall we say, her own attitude with which to stand her ground. She is quite capable of defending her opinions. Thank you for caring. She has always wanted a lakefront house but we have always had a strip mine bank account.

What is a strip mine bank account?

Not much $

Oh, I get it now,

I thought maybe it was something to do with mining/tax credits/etc/
    How funny!

You may or may not remember that we ended up with an extra turkey on Thanksgiving. DH made it into soup and stock, which we froze. Tonight we had turkey soup for dinner with stuffing dumplings and it was SO good! Today is the first snow of the season, so it was the perfect meal. We are doing the hygge thing today big time! We also watched a movie I had borrowed from the library (Moonlight).
    Groceries came in within budget. DH is much more onboard with frugality measures now because he really wanted me to go ahead with the early retirement and realizes that this means less discretionary spending. Last night at 5 PM he said he was so happy to be home and to have me at home already (when working he would usually pick me up at my mother's house at 6 PM or so, and we wouldn't be home until 6:30 - 7:00).
    I have been looking for the right night-table light for years, and I found one for only $20 at a vintage shop last week. I also go the chance to check out an Aldi's for the first time. They certainly had good prices, but not that much better than Market Basket which has an infinitely greater selection. If there was one near us, I could see adding it to the rotation for a few items, but since there isn't, the savings wouldn't justify the journey. As mentioned before, need to come up with more non-shopping activities to do with Dsis, but I am really glad I found the lamp!

Edited to change disposable income to discretionary spending. I hate the phrase disposable income!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    You may or may not remember that we ended up with an extra turkey on Thanksgiving. DH made it into soup and stock, which we froze. Tonight we had turkey soup for dinner with stuffing dumplings and it was SO good! Today is the first snow of the season, so it was the perfect meal. We are doing the hygge thing today big time! We also watched a movie I had borrowed from the library (Moonlight).
    Groceries came in within budget. DH is much more onboard with frugality measures now because he really wanted me to go ahead with the early retirement and realizes that this means less discretionary spending. Last night at 5 PM he said he was so happy to be home and to have me at home already (when working he would usually pick me up at my mother's house at 6 PM or so, and we wouldn't be home until 6:30 - 7:00).
    I have been looking for the right night-table light for years, and I found one for only $20 at a vintage shop last week. I also go the chance to check out an Aldi's for the first time. They certainly had good prices, but not that much better than Market Basket which has an infinitely greater selection. If there was one near us, I could see adding it to the rotation for a few items, but since there isn't, the savings wouldn't justify the journey. As mentioned before, need to come up with more non-shopping activities to do with Dsis, but I am really glad I found the lamp!

Edited to change disposable income to discretionary spending. I hate the phrase disposable income!
    did you like Moonlight? I loved it. It deserved Best Picture at the Oscars.

Yes I did. It was a bit heart-wrenching, but excellent.

Yppej
    I got my new tires and insisted the pressure be set to 35 not 33 so the tire pressure light doesn't come on whenever the temperature plummets. This will prevent me from missing work/wages because once the light goes on it stays on and then I wouldn't know if I really do have a tire issue later on so I always feel like I have to deal with it right away. I got the 35 figure from the dealership the last time that happened at which time they claimed there was a nail in the tire. This is not the first time that instead of just resetting the pressure they also claimed something was in the tire and demanded money to get the tire pressure light off. I don't think nails always and only get in tires when there is a cold snap! This time I went to an independent shop.

Also checked the furnace filter and it is fine. Soon it will be time for its annual cleaning. It is over 20 years old but hanging in there, I am convinced due to in part to preventive maintenance.

Enjoyed a free movie from the library last night, "Hidden Figures." It was great! DH said he would probably fall asleep, but he was totally engaged throughout the movie.
    We ate homemade pizza for dinner.
    DH made the "Indian Chop Suey" again last week. It is a definite frugal because even with organic, grass-fed ground beef, it was enough food to feed us each twice, enormous servings, at a cost of about $2.25 per serving.

Thread Information