Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: December Frugals

Yppej
    I feel badly for the new hire, a Jehovah's Witness, who has kept her religious views mostly to herself. She does not celebrate Christmas and people unaware of this will view her as cheap and gossip about her. All day long I have to listen to the mean girl clique engage in these types of conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I feel badly for the new hire, a Jehovah's Witness, who has kept her religious views mostly to herself. She does not celebrate Christmas and people unaware of this will view her as cheap and gossip about her. All day long I have to listen to the mean girl clique engage in these types of conversations.
    Perhaps you should speak up.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Perhaps you should speak up.
    It wouldn't do any good. Already I am being increasingly ostracized because I am friends with people outside their clique so I am suspect.

Edited to update: Today I asked the boss if I can change seats and he will check on that. Numerous people were commenting about how chilly my area was (right near an exterior door opened throughout the day) so that was the reason I gave.
    Last edited by Yppej; 12-21-17 at 7:51pm.

It was kind of funny. We have pretty well opted out of the holiday madness and gift giving, but DH had an appointment this AM with an endodontist, and his office was right at the mall, so we still found ourselves at the mall on the Saturday before Christmas! Luckily we got in and out without much trouble, but we could see some crazy traffic building up as we were headed home. Weather was lousy, so we stayed cozy indoors for the rest of the day and DH baked a quiche and some cinnamon rolls. I puttered around with some small projects and read my library book. Frugal hygge.

I went to a movie at a mall two days ago. In the middle of the afternoon, parking lot was jammed.

By the time I came out of the movie there were many open spots in the lot. I had forgotten about the
    Christmas frenzy when
    I went to the movie theater. It is my favorite one, though, the old people’s theater, so I probably still would have chosen it over other theaters. I love going in the middle of the afternoon to a film with my fellow retirees. There are many jokes about how the “blue hairs” rattle their popcorn and talk throughout films there, but I havent had that problem.

Yppej
    DS has decided to finish college. He hates school and said he would only go if it costs him or his family nothing. The first 3 years he received full scholarships. Now after doing better than he expected he has decided to complete his bachelor's and I told him I would cover it. He has health issues and cannot work and go to school at the same time.

He missed the deadline to register for next semester so I am uncertain when the expense will hit my books. I have the money saved but even in-state tuition at the state university is more than I paid at a private college years ago. Tuition inflation is bad. But I worked my way through with no loans and would like to see him also graduate debt-free.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ah yes, that was another nasty little tradition I stopped cold in my department, allowing only those who put money into the envelope to sign the card.

Actually, after a while, I didnt let anyone circulate an envelope to collect money at all, regardless of who it was for.
    This year the queen bee ramped it up. She excluded me from multiple emails about the group gift for the boss, thinking that if I didn't give it would look bad to him. Well she was out of the office today and the person she asked to buy the gift asked me about it, and all this came out. So now the talk of the office is not I am cheap but she is mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    This year the queen bee ramped it up. She excluded me from multiple emails about the group gift for the boss, thinking that if I didn't give it would look bad to him. Well she was out of the office today and the person she asked to buy the gift asked me about it, and all this came out. So now the talk of the office is not I am cheap but she is mean.
    Well, that is good! Even if you are cheap!

Y, people can be so awful. Did your son finish college?

Yppej
    No TT.

Thread Information