Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1-800-GOT JUNK?

1-800-GOT JUNK?

Has anybody used the above service for a partial or full clean out?

I never considered them but the other day we got a flyer in the mail with flat fees listed (like a truckfull for $50). It's tempting, if I can get spouse to agree to it.

Just wondering what your experience might have been, if you've used them.

We have a lot of ads in our local paper, with people willing to come clean out your place for a free. Our former neighbor's son hired a guy, didn't write down the name or number, paid him, and the guy never showed up. :eyeball roll: I thought this company, since it's national, might be easier and more legit.

I have used them twice: once for moving MIL/BIL out of their house in NY, and once when moving BIL out of the house next door.

Benefits:
    They take anything. They do the manpower getting it out of the house. We hear that they try to recycle everything, but I have no proof of that. They're fast and easy to schedule.

Drawbacks:
    If you can get them for $50, grab it, but make sure you have it in writing exactly what that encompasses, because it's not cheap. We paid $800 for 2 trucks the first time (I think), and $651 the second (I know). They did have some heavy furniture to move and a lot of assorted junk but we really felt they were the best option for the reasons stated above
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

Drawbacks:
    If you can get them for $50, grab it, but make sure you have it in writing exactly what that encompasses, because it's not cheap. We paid $800 for 2 trucks the first time (I think), and $651 the second (I know). They did have some heavy furniture to move and a lot of assorted junk but we really felt they were the best option for the reasons stated above
    Holy crap (pun intended)! I will keep that in mind. I always figured they would be very expensive so I never considered them.

Maybe it was just my local franchise(?), but I was very frustrated when I tried to get a quote from them.

I called them in May to get an estimate on picking up 3 old TVs and 3 old computer monitors after a recycling event was canceled. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get a straight answer from the man on the phone. He kept telling me the cost was $27 or $30 or some other random amount per item + some unspecified charge based on “the amount of space they took up on the truck.” I asked why the price per item didn't include the space on the truck and he wouldn't give me a clear answer. Even after I told him exactly what we had, right down to the sizes of the TVs, he couldn’t or wouldn't come up with anything resembling an estimate, he just kept throwing random numbers around. He also insisted he would send 2 men out “right now” and demanded the address. I told him no one was home and he wanted me to commit to a time that night or the next day when they could come and get the items and give me a price. He then demanded my phone number so he could "follow up." I refused to give him any of that information.

We ended up taking them to another recycling event a month later.

Hmmm...I'll be careful. The terms on the coupon were pretty clear but I will definitely call first.

I wonder if it's some sort of holiday special, i.e. get your home in order before the relatives descend.

Does anyone know of any other national franchise?

Yppej
    $600 for one truckload. I should have rented a dumpster instead.

Sometimes that does make more sense. However, we have nowhere to put a dumpster. At least said truck would be there and gone within a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    $600 for one truckload. I should have rented a dumpster instead.

Our waste management has something called a bagster. It is much smaller then a dumpster and is 200/bag. You fill it up and they come pick it up. It can go in your yard or driveway.

I have paid for them, small loads both times so nothing like that price. However it was totally worth it. Compared to nagging my children into hauling things or trying to get friends to help the lifting and carrying was worth the money. When I actually had them come it was raining, hard. It rained for a solid month. Even more reason, and my warm fuzzy feeling was that I was supporting people working and (hopefully) earning a living.

We used them when we downsized my dad for the second time. For the life of me I can't remember what I paid but I do know that I felt it was a bargain at the time.

Thread Information