Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018: Thinking ahead?

2018: Thinking ahead?

Though it may be trite, I often use the end of one year to reflect and to think about the upcoming year.

I consider what goals I want to accomplish and what plans I want to execute.

In 2018 I hope to:
    -Rebuild the travel coffers
    -Finish the remaining few Hermann Hesse books I have yet to read
    -Work out regularly (a habit I have built up already this year)
    -Walk to all destinations under 4 miles round trip
    -Eat 5 servings of veggies a day (this is my biggest goal!)

Anyone else kicking around their 2018 goals and plans?

Please share.

Yppej
    I have 23 draft resolutions. 4 are travel bucket list items, 6 are health related, 6 financial, 3 professional and 4 home improvement.

For years I've done 24, 2 per month, but I"m simplifying

- learn and practice how to sing better
    - complete a painting each month
    - write my DGS a letter each month
    - develop and practice the antidote to cruelty and wrongdoing by acknowledging and supporting all the good going on right now.
    - practice THINK before I speak - is it True, is it Helpful, is it Inspiring/Important, is it Necessary, is it Kind. It is amazing how this practice has made me more thoughtful. There is a lot of room for improvement though
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

There's still an entire month before I need to think about this!!

But, yes, I've been thinking about it:
    - Get the train back on the frugal track. We had a number of big expenses this year, some simply higher than anticipated (water heater, car repairs, etc.) and some just plain unexpected (surgery for the dog, new snowblower [didn't pay to fix the old one], etc.). I think we also got a little lazy in our spening (easier to buy something ready to use than put time into it). I want to revisit our budget and align what we're spending with what we want to spend it on.
    - Finally get going on landscaping the property. Nothing major or dramatic. But I've been hampered the last few years with the question of whether we were staying in this house long term. This year we finally settled that we are so I can do some things which will take more than a year to look halfway decent.
    - With gardening/yardwork going away for many months and the need for snow removal sporadic (and enabled by a snowblower), I have to find some consistent form of exercise I actually want to do.

And that's enough. Too much on the list and it's defeating to even look at it. Besides, who knows what new priority will need to be addressed that we don't even know about now?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

These are more plans than behavior changing resolutions for 2018:

We will take at least two small vacations, “small” meaning no more than 8 hour drive and 3 days.

We may also, and probably should, take one big vacation. Morocco, Estonia, and Croatia are calling to me right now. I havent forgotten sweetana’s recommended tour of Thailand tho.

I made application to exhibit in Art in Bloom, the big floral show at the St. louis Art Museum where floral designs interpret works of art. There is a 50-50 chance I will be selected as a floral designer for that show. But if selected, that is a life long goal and I will have to rise to the occasion to put together a worthy entry.

I want to clean up and toss out the old broken greenhouse in our yard.

I expect to reach the number 50 this year in “dogs through our house”. It is a count I keep of dogs we have had since 1993, most of them rescue dogs in foster care, but some of our own. Perhaps we will have a party when that happens, a dog party. We need 3 more dogs to reach that goal, and we average 3 foster dogs each year although that will slow since we just took in another dog to be “our” dog. We can no longer accomodate 2 foster dogs at the same time.

Having just passed my final test for being a National Garden Club judge, I will now pursue Iris judging credentials and that probably means at least two training sessions out of my city.

practice THINK before I speak - is it True, is it Helpful, is it Inspiring/Important, is it Necessary, is it Kind.
    I imagine there would be a lot of silence if we all practiced this. I am still in BE HERE NOW mode so not thinking about the future too much.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I imagine there would be a lot of silence if we all practiced this. I am still in BE HERE NOW mode so not thinking about the future too much.
    That is an excellent place to be, too!

Wow IL that is a lot of dogs saved-awesome! IN the past 13 years we have had 8 dogs pass through our house. I wanted to foster but DH said no because he gets too attached. So if we take a dog we keep it. A friend of mine does old senior Pom rescue most with special needs and I will have to ask her if she kept track of the dogs that have come through her home. She retired 20 years ago and at any one time she has between 8-12 tiny dogs. Some get adopted but most end up staying. Her house is immaculate with no doggie smell at all. It is amazing. Actually I am tiring of having 4 dogs at a time and we are down to 3 with 2 of them being quite old.

2018: #1 I will stop doing things that I "think" will make others happy, that they for sure must want and need me to do for them.

This is not to say I will not be nice to others...but I have always had a huge issue with: You need my help, you don't know you need my help, but I am going to help you! Maybe just once I will wait to hear if someone wants my help.

This is in the end I assume will make me a better person.

I tend to use my birthday at the end of February as my year beginning point. That's when I retreat and plan and make my list (equal to my new age) of things I want to do or experience in the next year.
    But I also do the "pick a word" for the new year that has been trendy the last few years. My word for 2018 is "Beyond" I want to push myself. 2017 ended up kind of flat due to re-injuring the ankle. I need to work on me more in 2018.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information