Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dec. Give it a 100,50,30,20...challenge

Dec. Give it a 100,50,30,20...challenge

Here's the Dec. thread to keep us going! Seems to help me keep at my 6000 steps. CL has spent tons of time in her studio, EJ has faithfully written nearly daily- feel free to join in!

Thanks, nswef, for starting the new thread!

I'm going to add this background about the video because it was so inspiring to me:

In August, I was inspired by the video at the link below. It's the story of a woman who went to the gym 100 times to try to get herself out of a rut. I saw it when George Takei posted it on Facebook along with the question, "What would you like to do 100 times?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5FkshLcNLQ

Her video was part of a larger movement online called "Give it 100" which, as far as I can tell, is now defunct.

I decided what I wanted to do 100 times was work on my fiction writing at least 30 minutes a day. The times do NOT need to be consecutive. Since I know I will miss a lot of days here and there, I'm aiming to complete my 100 days by January 15, but if it takes longer, that's fine too. I'm just trying to get to 100. Others joined in at various points - nswef has been building up to 100 times of a certain number of steps a day and I think is also counting days doing 15 minutes of decluttering. Chicken Lady got 30 days in her studio in November.

Anyway, if anybody else wants to join in for 20, 30, 100 or however many times of something, please do!

I hit 70 times of writing today!

I did a major downsizing 16 months ago, and now live in 450 sq ft, 1 bedroom/bath, large living/dining/kitchen, with large porch and larger deck, lovely yard, carport, 8x10 new shed. All is well- EXCEPT the Paper Mess!

I have piles and partial boxes and tubs, all with too much paper. Went to sleep last night thinking about how I can motivate myself to deal with this mess, and woke up this morning with the understanding that "if it wouldn't be important enough to take if we were evacuated, it can go in the trash now." Excellent clarification. Evacuation is a real possibility, given we were out 3 times last winter due to imminent flooding on the river in California.

Now, I'm sitting at my desk, ha! online instead of sorting paper! (I retired 6 months ago)

So, I am hereby setting a goal of .... dang! it's has taken some serious talking to myself to quantify this!

I am setting a goal of Working (at least) One Hour a Day to eradicate the paper mess. Starting...NOW.

Yahoo Mschrisgo2! I could definitely put your challenge to work...but I'd have to start with 10 minutes a day, not an hour as I KNOW I wouldn't do an hour. I might do 10.

Ok, so I have been thinking about December. I’m still managing well in the kitchen. I feel really good about my pottery changes. However, we have a lot of holiday stuff in December and will not be home every day.

i was trying to decide if I wanted to do 16 days (more than half) in the studio, or at least 16 hours, or 16 days of at least an hour...

i think i will try for both 16 days and 16 hours, so that short days can be balanced out by longer ones, but I don’t just pull a couple of long weekends... also, each day must involve working wet clay. Not just cleaning and organizing.

IN ADDITION I am going to try to do something every single day to focus on enjoying the things I think are important about the holidays.

Day 1 - 1.5 hours DONE.

Emptied shredder, shredded enough to refill and empty again. Pulled out a 14 in high pile of catalogs, magazines etc. took them to the recycle bin. Pulled out a handful of tablets and spirals, tore off the used sheets, put them in the cupboard with new ones. Pulled out all the Whole Dog Journal newsletters and put them in a binder. (if I decide not to keep it, will pass on to a friend). Pulled out half a box of "teacher" books to sell, put them in the car. Set up 2 sets of standing files, labeled, went through 1 messy stack on desk and filed it all. 2 sq ft on desk top is clear!! Emptied/shredded /filed contents of 2 plastic project boxes. This was all fairly current stuff.

I also have several bankers boxes of "historical" or OLD stuff. I'm hoping I can shred most of it now.

Pulled all the paper for my church committee and put in one of the project boxes, will start with organizing that tomorrow. Then on to the other stack on my desk.

Doesn't look a whole lot better, which is why I itemized it here. I needed to recognize and acknowledge what I accomplished today.
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 12-1-17 at 9:03pm. Reason: spelling!

Great start!

one of the things that is important to me is seasonal decorations. I was tired last night, but I went down to the basement and grabbed one of the bins - which I happily put away well sorted and labeled last year.

i put away the fall dish towels and put out the christmassy ones, switched the pens by the phone to the Santa bucket, and set out the Christmas flamingo (family in joke) in the den.

then I ate the little piece of chocolate from the advent calendar Dd gave me at thanksgiving.

today we are going to get our Christmas tree.

Welcome, mschrisgo!

Chicken Lady, I like your idea of taking some time every day to enjoy the holiday. That sounds healthy.

I've never been a holiday decorator, but it turns out holiday decorating is extremely important to my six-year-old, so I'm belatedly starting to think about how I might approach it with her. I think I could enjoy it if it became a thing we did together.

Completed #71 today of writing.

Spent 20 minutes in the studio finishing two pots.

got the tree and put it in the stand. Strung lights on the old dining porch.

came up with some ideas for heartgrandson for Yule. Heartdaughter vetoed live frog, but okayed the rest.

Day 2 - Done. One hour, cleared desk and made one neat file of my committee papers.

On to day 3 now.
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 12-3-17 at 9:49pm. Reason: add time spent

Thread Information