Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
Fat = failure? I think a lot of people see it that way, the same way they see poverty as a moral failure and not as the result of an environment that all too easily reinforces it. "Well, if you just ate less and exercised more..." is right up there with "Well, if you just worked harder and spent less..." And it's hard to hide either condition.

I will say, however, that, IMHO, Kate's story in This Is Us is not being told well. Randall's life seems to get a fuller treatment, with the flashbacks showing the events in his childhood that helped make him who he is now. Neither Kevin nor Kate seem to get that kind of introspective screen time and their flashbacks don't seem to go beyond their childhood insecurity and angst to illustrate why they are who they are now. It's a great show but that's my frustration with it.
Very true, both statements.

I notice that the actors playing Jack, Rebecca and Randall are first in the cast list, so I guess their characters are more prominent in the series. I do like Randall a lot. He's my second favorite character. And based on some new episodes, he'll probably tie with Jack. But while I find myself enjoying the other characters and wanting to know more (William is wonderful and Kevin is delicious to look at), Kate's character is just unappealing to me. I want her to stand up and ROAR!