Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Las Cruces, New Mexico

Las Cruces, New Mexico

We took a car trip to Las Cruces. i havent been there in 35 years.

the food on this trip was pretty awful. Once we hit Las Ceuces and settled in we found the small, good Mexican restarants and we also had the expensive Sunday brunch at The Double Eagle in Old Mesilla. Mesilla is very cool.

i guess I would say about las Cruces is that it might be nice for retirees from up north to consider. Real estate taxes are low. Real estate itself isnt bad in price.It is a
    University town and so there are lots of cultural things going on. Mark Medoff had just directed a little theater play there. That was a nostalgia thing for me because
    Medoff came to fame back when I was living there for His play Children of a Lesser God.

This area has such a rich culture and history to delve into, so that would be interesting. It is an old town and as such has old style social institutions such as The Women’s Club and garden clubs and etc.

But visually, it is a bit sad, it has fallen prey to the problem of small cities of a few main roads and chain stores lining those roads. There is one tall building ten stories. The Organ Mountains on the East are nice.

This is a great area if you like hiking and outdoorsy stuff.

This trip confirmed my decision to leave 35 ish years ago. The desert is not for me. Sand everywhere. Ugh.

Yppej
    I went to New Mexico in the winter, loved it, and decided that is where I wanted to retire. Then I went there in the summer.

It always seemed like Cruces is kind of isolated but I have heard good things about it. A distant relative has a pecan farm there of all things.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    It always seemed like Cruces is kind of isolated but I have heard good things about it. A distant relative has a pecan farm there of all things.
    I am eating Mesilla Valley pecans now as I type this.

we waved to you as we drove thru the edge of CS.

We stood on the roof of the car to wave to SiouxieQ, dont know if she saw us, hahah. We were a ways away.

We ate Indian food in The Storyteller’s town on Thanksgiving day.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I went to New Mexico in the winter, loved it, and decided that is where I wanted to retire. Then I went there in the summer.
    The first summer I lived there I didnt know what a swamp cooler was and I assumed my apartment had no cooling system, didnt know what the switch in the wall operated. I think I had it figured out by the second summer, though. Funny I dont remember being miserable from heat but I suppose it was pretty hot.

When we visited there last week it was unseasonably warm with temperatures high 70’s up to 80 degrees. That was too damned hot, we were not able to leave our dog in the car and so had to make different arrangements, which later turned out to be a positive thing. We stayed in an Air bnb that was a little casita in the historic district, it was nice and perfect for our dog. He just hung out on their sofa, just like home.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-1-17 at 11:32pm.

Hi Iris, just caught your wave!

This morning was the first morning it felt chilly enough for me to shiver a bit on my morning walk; lately, it really has been unseasonably warm with a lack of precipitation (I don't think it has really rained in 2 months).

I haven't really been to Las Cruces, just skimmed it coming from White Sands and heading west toward Demming. I never went into town proper. I can imagine how hot it would be there in the summer though!

I forgot to give the most astonishing reason to move to New
    mexico over, say, Florida~~the traffic! There is none.

We drove around the main drags of the older part of the city and the traffic is negligible.

I cmpared my experience in Bradenton FL, a smaller city, and the traffic in FL was horrific.

My brother moved to Santa Fe and he loves it.

Sometimes I long to move to say, Boondox, Wyoming, just for a lack of traffic. Then I remind myself why there is no traffic...Nobody wants to live there. Kind of like Maupin, Oregon, where I had a work assignment for a couple of days. Population 418.
    Maupin.jpg

Yesterday me and the boyfriend spent the day driving the High Road to Taos. Talk about empty highways, I LOVE it! Check out my little video ~

https://youtu.be/C46tlsw2WfY

Thread Information