Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The courts handled custody issues for a cat in the first lesbian divorce in Massachusetts so they can have jurisdiction in pet matters. I would think better to specify what you want than let lawyers get rich because you didn't, draining part of your estate.
    But does a homemade will prevent lawyers fighting? I dont know, but I wouldnt make assumptions.

My friend spins talk about what she wants: friend B to live in her house until all of her pets die, then sell the house.

well, that is lovely but naive. There is a mortgage on my friends house. How does she think that will be paid? I am sure our state’s intestate laws call for my friend's assets to go to her brother. Will her brother honor her lovely
    plan? I sincerely doubt it. Why would he agree to piss away the assets payong a mortgage so that dogs could live there for a decade?

If she really wants this complex plan to be successful she needs to work with an attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Thanks
    Tammy,
    as a former notary, one other thing people forget is that the notary cannot also be a witness. I believe AZ requires 2 witnesses, and many people assumed that as the notary, I would be one of the 2 witnesses. I learned to ask them to bring 2 people to witness their signature, neither of whom had any interest in any aspects of the will.

I'm in Ontario, Canada and bought a Will kit (a CD actually) at an office supply store. It was easy to fill out and had to be witnessed by someone who is not in the Will, so I picked my financial advisor. You can customize it how you like. Cost about $20. It is valid in Canada.

In our state paralegal can draw up wills. Once you both die the money could be split among your kids and others if you don’t have a will. We don’t want anyone other then our kids to have the money

We spent a lot of money having an attorney draw up a trust and will because we are without children. I wanted some of our money to go organizations, not our relatives. The attoney went down many rabbit trails and covered contingencies which I do not really care anout. For instance,
    I do not care about the tax consequences of our inheritors. I dont care that if one of them is being sued, this trust keeps the money away from that situation. But hey, I got all of that coverage for the $$$ paid to our estate attorney. [insert eye roll.]

next time I update it I will remove the humans and give all of the money to a smaller number of charitable organizations. By that time there will be far less money, because we are spending it, and I tire of including all of our siblings and a couple of friends. They are all doing fine financially, anyway.

We are lucky to have 5 siblings who are healthy, active, and are solid tax paying citizens. None are in need.

In addition to any will, I would also suggest talking to family and friends - involved in the will or not - about what you are doing, what you want, etc. The hope here is that if anyone has issue what your plans, there can be discussion and clarifications before you are gone instead of fighting after your death.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information