Thread: Tax cut bill full text

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Tax cut bill full text

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...C8F3FC56481E4A

Very interesting reading. All 500 pages are online with numerous very difficult to interpret paragraphs. As in difficult to figure out how they will affect normal people

my main problem is the deficit. If adding more profits to a business resulted in better wages and benefits for the workers you would not have ultra wealthy founders and CEO’s while the workers were barely scraping by, aka Walmart. If the rich only get richer how will this benefit the country as a whole.

After looking through the bill bill from what I can decipher there may be a slight benefit to my family, but I am worried in order to reign in the deficit cuts to working people will occur, in the form of skimpier social security and Medicare. Also, for years Republicans were deficit hawks, and somehow that has gone out the window. I don’t see where the working class will be better off with the trickle down theory.

I'll have to let others read the whole bill, but if the House approves things I understand it will also allow drilling in parts of the Arctic Wildlife Refuge and may remove the individual mandate for health insurance. That seems rather slippery to me, but I suppose that's politics.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...C8F3FC56481E4A

Very interesting reading. All 500 pages are online with numerous very difficult to interpret paragraphs. As in difficult to figure out how they will affect normal people

my main problem is the deficit. If adding more profits to a business resulted in better wages and benefits for the workers you would not have ultra wealthy founders and CEO’s while the workers were barely scraping by, aka Walmart. If the rich only get richer how will this benefit the country as a whole.

After looking through the bill bill from what I can decipher there may be a slight benefit to my family, but I am worried in order to reign in the deficit cuts to working people will occur, in the form of skimpier social security and Medicare. Also, for years Republicans were deficit hawks, and somehow that has gone out the window. I don’t see where the working class will be better off with the trickle down theory.
    Rubio I think is already saying we'll need to cut Medicare, Medicaid, SS to address this deficit.

Deficit spending is my main interest, too. I am less concerned about what happens on my personal 1040 tax form.

But I wont spend my time reading the bill or trying ro figure out whether this beast is a plus or minus for the economy, I dont think anyone knows. The Congressional Budget office say thumbs down, the treasury office says thumbs up. Like any economic forcasting, it is all speculatin.

I would like to see efforts to cut regulations and government spending continue where it is happeneing and start up where it is not happeneing.

The Dems kicked Rand Paul’s balanced budget bill to the curb a few months ago, so we know what they think of that. I think the balanced budget bill is a staple of political thester in D.C. and Obama even voted for it as a new Senator when it was proposed by his own party. Yet, it is a tradition I like, a kind of fiscal symbolic gesture. Like Christmas traditions, they can be fraught with meaning or can be empty gestures, depending on how they are viewed by each of us.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-2-17 at 2:03pm.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    Rubio I think is already saying we'll need to cut Medicare, Medicaid, SS to address this deficit.
    Yes, here in Florida he is called no show Rubio after he refused to meet with constituents. There were so many protests outside one of his offices he was not allowed to renew the lease. He has said it is time to reform those pesky “entitlements”of SS and Medicare. That we were forced to pay into our whole working lives.

The reality, of course, is that republicans don't give a crap about balancing the budget. Anyone that votes for them with that goal in mind is a fool. This budget is simply a plan to cut programs for the poor and middle class so that the very rich can get a massive tax cut. But, yippee, at least the Koch Brothers, Donald Trump, the Walton Family, Warren Buffet and Bill Gates will all get much needed tax relief!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Deficit spending is my main interest, too. I am less concerned about what happens on my personal 1040 tax form.

But I wont spend my time reading the bill or trying ro figure out whether this beast is a plus or minus for the economy, I dont think anyone knows. The Congressional Budget office say thumbs down, the treasury office says thumbs up. Like any economic forcasting, it is all speculatin.

I would like to see efforts to cut regulations and government spending continue where it is happeneing and start up where it is not happeneing.

The Dems kicked Rand Paul’s balanced budget bill to the curb a few months ago, so we know what they think of that. I think the balanced budget bill is a staple of political thester in D.C. and Obama even voted for it as a new Senator when it was proposed by his own party. Yet, it is a tradition I like, a kind of fiscal symbolic gesture. Like Christmas traditions, they can be fraught with meaning or can be empty gestures, depending on how they are viewed by each of us.
    totally agree with you on this one. Some regulations, like not pouring radioactive waste from a nuclear power plant into a nearby lake or ocean are good, of course.

I fully agree that that whether I get an extra 500 or so will make no difference in my life. What possible difference could it make to our country if the Waltons get a better tax situation however everyone being able to see a doctor is good for the health of society. But the powerful are dealing the cards right now and whether you get aces and face cards depends on things like your religion, skin color and economic status. Maybe they should sterilize anyone that does not meet their standards of white Christian upper middle class. The deficit though is worrisome. Too much debt builds a house of cards IMO. The partisanship, which has been going on for many years now is appalling. Surely there are some parts of the bill that the dems could find good, and some parts the Republican do not want. But they of course have their own reelection’s and their own wallets to think about first. They all are truly self serving liars.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    No shock there. Rather than blame the tax cut for being the reason they will have to cut those programs the need to cut those programs is actually a feature of their tax plan. But since Republicans lack empathy they don't believe government exists to actually run programs that help people.

I truly don't understand how any person could think it is okay to steal $ from programs to help the less fortunate while making the top 1% even richer. They have enough $. This whole thing just makes me sick. I am so disgusted at McCain and some of the others who had stood against this crap only to cave in.

Thread Information