Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Prime--yay or nay?

Amazon Prime--yay or nay?

Very tempted at the moment to get a free trial of Amazon Prime so I can get a crafting item that is selling like hotcakes everywhere. I can get it with free two-day shipping if I sign on for Prime. I don't know if I'd want to keep Prime.
    It's another $10 a month and while I realize that's not much, and I can certainly afford it, I wonder if it's a good idea. I've really cut down on buying books the past few years, but occasionally we do find something on Amazon that we need and it's a great price. Recent examples: I have back problems, and we found an inflatable cushion that lets my tailbone rest happily. We got a giant jug of Hibiclens, a medical-type soap.

I don't know if the Pantry prices beat, say, Wal-Mart. But I loathe going to Wal-Mart. I've got a friend who lives on an island in Florida and she orders a lot of food through Pantry, as it's a PITA to get off the island during tourist season.

The TV, I'm sure we'd find something to watch. We do have Netflix in the meantime.

How about you?

I love it. Just ordered a big bag of Nutro dog food with free shipping, 30 pounds for 33 dollars. I think that's a pretty good price.
    Sometimes it seems like Prime prices are higher, to accommodate shipping. But I like it fine, as we order so much from Amazon, so convenient.

Yeah, I also feel it's worth the price. I also order a lot on Amazon and never pay shipping. You'd have to figure out how many times you'd have to order for the break-even point, but it's definitely worth it for. me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have Amazon prime and mostly I like it. I like getting things in two days (with no shipping costs) because I usually order things I need at the last minute. The two days are working days so if you order something on Thursday it will be delivered on Monday. I think the expedited shipping expenses, however, are built into some prices as they are well above Walmart online (who also has two day delivery on some things) prices. The lowest price for an item is often not offered for prime delivery. Also, it’s really up to the delivery system (usually USPS) that gets to you I two days. For example, one item I ordered was at the local post office on time but the delivery person forgot to deliver it so it came on day three. I really don’t order a lot from Amazon but I like Prime feature. I don’t know how to do the music/ video stuff because I don’t know how and I have limited internet data.

It's very worthwhile for us here, but we live on an island. It'd likely be worthwhile here just for the video/audio streaming and the ability to check out lots of books for "free".

I flirt with Amazon Prime, but given the rate of package theft in my neighborhood, I dont order much online. Every day the package thieves operate.

For entertainment viewing I cobble together videos from the Library,
    Netflix, and my friend (who has many services) but I will say that Amazon Prime doesnt offer first run titles so I dont think it is great for that. If it is the only service you have available, it is fine, though.

How do you check out books for free? I confess that I don't understand the whole Prime membership and I probably don't use it enough if you can check out books for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    How do you check out books for free? I confess that I don't understand the whole Prime membership and I probably don't use it enough if you can check out books for free.
    If you are a Prime member, you can check out a fair percentage of the titles to your Kindle, or Kindle software running on your PC/Mac/Iphone/Ipad/Android device. I think you can have 10 titles out at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Be sure to assess the quality of the books. If they are all self published drek, that isnt such a good deal.

Shoot, I did not know that, and I have Kindle on my iPhone. I need to check this out.

Thread Information